Butterfly roof with saddle or cricket

marisco

Hi Guys,

newish user - using X8 on a project I am doing for a semi detached house. I am having a hard time enforcing my vision of the roof into the project with how chiefs roofs work with my limited knowledge. What I am attempting to do is to make a butterfly roof with the shed slopes front and back and a saddle running between them to shed water. When I get the saddle/cricket in place and try to join it to the other planes, the roof goes all wonky (or I need to extend the eaves to almost 4'-0"! Any tips on how I can get this to work? alternatively I could try a troughed butterfly - just not sure how to add a gutter between the shed roofs.... Any help is much appreciated. I'm really starting to like Chief, but these few things just irk me....

semi project butterfly.jpg

I was trying to manually do it - auto-build gave less than desirable results (probably due to the cantilevers. the pitch is 2/12. but yes Solver - what you are showing is what I am trying to accomplish. here is the second floor underneath

The biggest issue is that if I split the planes and move to where I think the ridge should meet the shed roofs, my planes are all off - if I use the join tool it places the roof in odd above below areas as well.

i was thinking of working out where the exact middle should be and try from there manually, but there has to be an easier way.....

2nd floor.jpg

Roof Drainage?

What are the proposed solutions for collection roof drainage from 

the proposed butterfly-saddle design?

Appears there will be a substantial flow of water to each outlet.

The traditional butterfly uses a wide central box gutter as a holding

reservoir that then allows progressive water flow to the end rainwater heads.

I agree, water disposal is going to be a big problem.

Even with huge rainwater heads, I think you are going to have problems.

Here is a similar one I did a few years back.

I designed a near flat central roof that fell to each side and the water was then picked up in some oversized gutters.

This worked well with no water problems.

New Image_171.jpg

Drainage is THE issue with an inverted gable. The saddle method is not great, if you can I would suggest glenw's method. More control there.

If you do have a saddle be sure to leave yourself some eave to have a large scupper and downspout.

It is possible to do a lot of the roof automatically but you will almost certainly have to manually edit some of the planes.

Untitled 4.jpg

decide to go with Glennw's route - not that we get that much rainfall/snowfall (320mm/126mm per year) but will also make for easier framing. Great idea, thanks.

I know the skylights are not the best idea on that low pitched roof - just asking to fail - client insists they need them in the bathrooms.....

colour matching the fascia trim to the windows and soffit to the decks

roof 2.jpgroof.jpg