How detailed do you really get

RL-inc

I was just curious to know how detailed most CA users really get.

Not regarding construction documents but in creating the 3d model.

I see posts that dive into very accurate or specific furniture models or custom textures and am assuming that these users are taking the model to a very detailed level.

Is this for:

-Client preentation and promotion

-Actual client sign off on specific materials of items to be included in the project

-Just enjoy working with the program and the creative benefits 

-Other?

This may have been addressed before or may make a good poll question.

Either way, just curious. 

Rob:

for us it depended on the client

most clients don't want/need high-end detail

for those that do they should pay for it

I was working on a multi=tier system for my website

where the client could choose what level of service they wanted

1. Bronze - walls, window, doors - OOB from CA

few, if any, custom symbols or colors etc

model looking basic, renders only

2. Silver - same as Bronze with a few custom colors or symbols, or countertops etc

model looking decent, renders only

3. Gold - same as Silver but with details applied to every room and outside shingles/siding etc

more custom symbols,

model looking pretty snazzy, renders and rays

4. Platinum - same as Gold with lots of detail and custom symbols

model looking damn good, almost all rays

5. Stellar - top-notch for everything, everything custom

model looking fabulous, almost all rays, magazine worthy

this is about as far as I got and needed to apply some metrics and costs to these levels

Lew

Rob, it really depends on the intended audience and what I'm trying to "sell".  If it's a <$500 tract home, then I'm not spending much time on the pretty pictures other than some fairly standard camera views.  However, if it's a $65k interior design/decoration for a single room of that same tract home, and I'm trying to sell beyond four walls, then that level of detail will be much greater.

It's truly an issue of know your audience.  Know what they expect from your design and know that you are willing to perform to those expectations for what you're getting paid.

In genreal I use Jon's philosophy.

I base my fees on the needs of the client.

Also agree with Lew in that most clients, especially experienced builders, only want the necessary cd's to get through get through the permitting process.

I would be interested to hear from CA userst that sell more detailed views and for what purpose. 

Rob:

it helps to have samples of each of the service levels (bronze - stellar)

I had a client for a $1.6 M mansion in Baltimore

He insisted all he wanted was condocs - no 3D

towards the end of the project I had put together some nice renders and few rays to add to my website

he took one look and insisted that he wanted them as his wife couldn't understand the floorplans :)

Lew

Makes sense to me Lew.

I use interior renderings to sell or get sign off on kitchen remodels and the like.

Really helps with eliminating any miscommunication .

The attached was a sign off for a Jen-aire kitchen that we did for a regional appliance retailer.

Sold that and 4 more kitchenette remodels for additional manufacturers.

JEN+AIR+KITCHEN+1-36.jpg

Can I see a version with the flower vase rotated 20 degrees.  Maybe another one with a different fabric on the seats of the stools.  Oh wait, I got it, just one more version with the stools from picture in the pottery barn catalog.  Etc. Etc Etc.

Yah,

That can be the danger of getting too involved.

Fortunately I have not run into very much of that.

Most of my clients are wanting to get their projects started and move along quickly with the bigger decisions and don't get wrapped up in the little things. :wacko:

I add just a few elements that hopefully compliment the kitchen design but not distract from it. Most importantly I work to get the main wall colors, flooring and trim work as accurate as possible. When doing custom kitchens this is the only way a client can visualize exactly how things will look.

Abode_John & Linda_Kitchen_Concept 1a_PS.jpg

Abode_John & Linda_Kitchen_Concept 1b_PS.jpg

Graham