Cupola

CheifArchTim

In my work I do a lot with cupolas, and I seems like it doesn't work real well to draw a custom cupola, with regular walls especially when they get down to being 24" square and then putting windows in there things just get to crowded and cupolas aren't built with that stout of a structure a lot of times unless they are a lot bigger, so my question is, is there a different method for building structures like that were you would use maybe a different wall type or something or is it just not very handy in this particular program, let me know what you think, thanks 

For something like this I generally use pline solids and create a symbol in a separate plan.

Then I can always go back and modify that plan as any jobs dictates.

Export that symbol as well and keep adding to library.

I suppose you could create a very narrow wall type so that you could add custom windows  and use corner boards and trim but then you are dealing with another floor level. 

Poly-line solids are a geometric shape that have depth in the X,Y and Z axis.

An incredibly valuable tool as you develop your CA use.

You can use multiple pline solids to create symbols or add to existing ones.

Unique symbol creation or customizing existing arch-blocks is a real strength of CA IMO.

Look into the training videos or do a search.

Guys,

This may be a dumb question but I'll risk it. There's almost nothing one cannot do in Chief if you get into p-line solids. I've done a few things and it really is cool. Although Sketchup is much more intuitive to model in the 3D, Chief is geared more for designing houses right out of the box than Sketchup. My question is...How do you guys illustrate the construction of something like a Cupola or any other structural element, if it is modeled in a p-line solid? 

Thanks,

• Like 1

The problem I run into with building it with walls like a 2nd floor, is that I need the windows to be as big as possible, they need to come to within a 1.5" of the corners so its basically mostly window on all four sides, how would that be done with building walls. like you can adjust the width of the walls down pretty small, or is there a certain wall in the program that would work better than any of the others for this particular situation?

20 minutes ago, CheifArchTim said:

The problem I run into with building it with walls like a 2nd floor, is that I need the windows to be as big as possible, they need to come to within a 1.5" of the corners so its basically mostly window on all four sides, how would that be done with building walls. like you can adjust the width of the walls down pretty small, or is there a certain wall in the program that would work better than any of the others for this particular situation?

Just post a plan with the walls you are having issues with and you will have more answers than you can use.

Seriously,  there are so many variables,  give us the variable you are working with andI bet you get an answer.

Just curious, how do you propose that it would actually be built in the real world.

1/16" walls don't hold together very well.

It seems that the walls would need to be a minimum of 2x4 for proper corner nailing.

Same with the sill plates so they could be nailed to roof blocking below.

I would probably sheath the inside of the framing and paint it black prior to installing the windows.

This hides the framing members from view when the sun shines through and will give lateral support.

• 6 years later...

I'm designing a remodel and addition to a dwelling that has a large fancy cupola that will remain.

I'd like to replicate it in Chief.  It has concave sides and roof, rising from a square base.

Can polyline solids be created to replicate this?

Two sides are easy enough.  Struggling to figure out how to curve the other two sides.

Here's a photo of the actual cupola.Cupola_Elise.jpg.0c6e097bc6b7d3b53b6672b83862cb07.jpg