Line Overlay Technique for Marker and Pen Output

jcaffee

I didn't want to get off topic on Mark's thread, so here is the quick and dirty of the technique I used to produce the attached image...

Get your camera in position and save it.  Ray trace to suit your needs for clarity, save as a *.tif image (tif is lossless and allows layers in Photoshop).  Render and export a Line Drawing set as Extend 15, Squiggle 30, Amplitude 50 (play with the line setting so it looks "nervous" but not too nervous) using the same camera from ray trace.

Export Line with white background intact.

Open RT and LINE in Photoshop; I use PS CC 2017.  In the RT, unlock and duplicate the main layer>set blend as Multiply 100/100 on the duplicate layer.  Drag Line image into the RT image; align.  Set blend as Overlay 100/45.  Using the Magic Eraser Tool on the LINE Layer, ALT-Select the background color, then randomly erase areas of the LINE image to achieve marker-like strokes and "blocks" of white.

So simple, even I can do it.

20170221 Kitchen 14 02.png

Wow Jon!  Thank you so much for the instructions.  I will give it a try - although I'm not sold on the "So simple, even I can do it" comment. :)   

Someday maybe one of us can talk you into a GTM on that technique.   Thank you again! 

Sorry Mark, I do not have a link, but I may have the video Scott did of my GTM session that turned into a "Let's play with layer blends" 3-hour mess.  (And I had my third major heart attack two days after--don't know that I want to roll the dice on hosting another GTM session)