Moldings

evergreen

From what I understand, you select the moldings option by room only, not by selecting the wall. Ok no problem. See attached. I put together a service counter for a department store using the half wall tool. All was good until I needed base moldings on the outside as shown...I used a polyline solid to get what you see...a little tedious...is there another more direct, "faster" way?

post-82-0-92331700-1393444357_thumb.jpg

I suppose, but when I think of it though, its not the "actual" way it is done. In the field, I do actually build "half walls" which my counters sit on and cabinets butt into. I know, I know, for the sake of presentation, does it really matter how one gets to the end result.

Thanks for the feed back!

I initially attached a bad example of what I was talking about and so I changed the picture to a more suitable situation.  I would prefer to use cabinets for that situation because they're more customizable than a half wall, and countertops and mouldings are both automatic.

Im not going to argue with you, you know how you build things, I don't, but in your particular attached example, I would think those would end up being built with cabinets anyway as they're covered with wood.  I would think conventional framing with wood panel overlyas would actually be more expensive and less efficient.  Just my 2 cents.

You can add a moulding to the cabinets via the cabinet mouldings tab.  Am I missing something??

Edit:  I just realized you used the half-wall tool and not cabinets.  I would use cabinets for that "halfwall" and then apply the moldings to those cabinets.

i disagree with Michael,  I would not use cabinets for the half wall,  I would either use a wall and change height manually by dragging down in elevation or I would use walls and make them railing walls……  the reason…  they are framed wall with plates…..  cut a section and you see the plates….  and if you ever use the material list,  they should be there.

But,  back to the point about no base molding at half walls by cabinet…..  if I am not mistaken,  the walls should get auto base molding if the walls are defined as ROOM DEF WALLS vs. defined as NON ROOM DEF WALLS.

So,  if they are ROOM DEF WALLS,  you should get the molding……..  I think…...

• Upvote 1

Thanks Scott. I also agree with you about using "some" kind of wall rather then cabinets. In my experience, so far with CA, many operations that are used to draw are logically. If you are building walls, use the "wall" tool, cabinets, "cabinet" tool and so on...

By the way...good advice my friend, see attached...this could have been the approach for me rather then half wall tool!

They should "add" that ability to the half wall tool.

Only draw back, you can't directly change wall height from DB when you select the wall when using a regular wall tool. (maybe you can and I am missing it)

You can however with the half wall tool. Oh well...

Anyway, I sold the job!

post-82-0-47675500-1393507914_thumb.jpg