Red Line

stephenbc

Funny you bring that up.  I've never once seen that before but I had it happen to me today.  I was making a very small custom symbol and I lost track of it in the plan.  For a little while it seemed EVERYTHING had disappeared and all I could occasionally get while zooming in and out was that single dark line you show.  It just seemed like one of those freak things so I didn't investigate but i just thought I'd confirm.  If you've gone crazy...you're not alone. 

I can't speak fro the OP but when I had that line showing up it wasn't actually anything in the plan.  It was more akin to a cross-hair or temporary dimension that only showed up for short period during the actual zooming. While I would zoom (either in or out...don't remember which) with my mouse wheel it would all the sudden shoot out across the screen exactly like the OP shows.  If I were to zoom back the opposite direction it would go away.  I could go back and forth in that "magnification zone" and it would appear, disappear, and reappear.  It certainly was NOT an item in the plan and could not be "followed".  Now the OP's case may be different, I'm not sure.  Mine was definitely bug like though.  

Thanks for the suggestions.  As it turns out, this problem is the result of a string of points that seemed to have been generated so close to each other and in one direction, that it looks like a thick red line.  The only thing that gets rid of them (or in this case what looks like a thick red line) is to delete temporary points.

In an effort to determine what caused the placement of all these points, I thought back to all the things I was doing and I can only suggest that it may have been a result of roof generation on walls that are curved and others that aren't orthogonal.  The situation created an undesirable roof plane in one place which I deleted, then modified others.  This may have created all these intersection temporary points, that ultimately looked like a line.  SSA found the solution.

So, Alaska, maybe you were doing the same thing?

13 minutes ago, stephenbc said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  As it turns out, this problem is the result of a string of points that seemed to have been generated so close to each other and in one direction, that it looks like a thick red line.  The only thing that gets rid of them (or in this case what looks like a thick red line) is to delete temporary points.

In an effort to determine what caused the placement of all these points, I thought back to all the things I was doing and I can only suggest that it may have been a result of roof generation on walls that are curved and others that aren't orthogonal.  The situation created an undesirable roof plane in one place which I deleted, then modified others.  This may have created all these intersection temporary points, that ultimately looked like a line.  SSA found the solution.

So, Alaska, maybe you were doing the same thing?

No...I was actually working in a blank plan with almost nothing in it except for 2 small symbols and maybe 2 matching CAD blocks.  I think mine was a freak bug caused by the fact I was doing some pretty extreme things with the sizing of the symbol.  Actually I had other bugs showing up during that process too.  I didn't really explore it much because it honestly didn't surprise me that what I was doing might be causing the program to freak out.  I had a symbol that was 0"x0"x0" and I was playing with various bounding box and stretch planes for that symbol.  

Anyway, it's a bit too much to go into but suffice it to say, my particular problem was definitely different.