Boxon1

Hi everybody,

This is probably common problem, but I couldn't find anything similar in search. So:

-I am trying to make gable wall between two abutting roofs, but above opened loft, where I don't have any walls below. In real life, wall infill would be placed on constructional ridge beams and multiplied rafters, leaving me with only one visible post, that would be incorporated in kitchen island below.

So, what I need is a inverted "V" shaped exterior wall, placed only above living room gable wall with cathedral ceiling, so people on the loft cant throw stuff down on people below.

So far, I added exterior to attic floor level, but, as you can see in sections, it works only for the exterior perspective view, and I messed framing badly. And everything else.

So far, I couldn't find solution to that.

-I also disallowed myself to use "Build roof planes", and "Auto rebuild roofs" options, because I needed to place gable wall between two exterior wall set far apart, with void between, and only way I could think was to build exterior wall in the middle of the room (look at images), to create a roof planes, and then disable "Auto" option, delete that wall, and not to touch "Build roof planes" ever again.

That was stupid, and I promise not to do that ever again.

What I need here it to make a single gable roof placed on two small walls which are approximately 28' apart, and connected only by beams.

I apologize for poor scan of my quick sketch, roll scanners make all kind of problems...

-I am breaking my head with this for two days, and I must admit that I am really irritated. Not to mention the fact that I am really a Chief architect beginner, just in start of transition from AutoCad.

So far, I came upon only one solution - to leave this exterior wall in the middle of the living room, and talk to client about turning their living room into squash club. But maybe I better try to make this work as intended.

I would really appreciate any help.

post-1711-0-52456100-1403269044_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-64441600-1403269102_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-04191200-1403269129_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-67985000-1403269146_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-65212700-1403269161_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-20943200-1403269173_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-99369800-1403269199_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-45062400-1403269212_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-45758500-1403269230_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-00238500-1403270049_thumb.jpg

dshall, this was ingenious. You cooked it better than Jamie Oliver.

I just wonder, I have one and the half floor, and second floor is only if I remember correctly 54" (half of a 9' precut stud), how will that effect this whole story, I have to cook this over weekend.

Only problem is that you slightly misspelled my nick :) ...

Thanks a lot, man.

dshall, this was ingenious. You cooked it better than Jamie Oliver.

I just wonder, I have one and the half floor, and second floor is only if I remember correctly 54" (half of a 9' precut stud), how will that effect this whole story, I have to cook this over weekend.

Only problem is that you slightly misspelled my nick :) ...

Thanks a lot, man.

Ain't that funny, somehow I thought you were BOSOX, what the heck is BOXON? Is that a laundry detergent?

Hey, I will do part 3 again tomorrow for you. Something interesting came out of it.

Ain't that funny, somehow I thought you were BOSOX, what the heck is BOXON? Is that a laundry detergent?

Hey, I will do part 3 again tomorrow for you. Something interesting came out of it.

dshall, Boxon is nickname derived from Bojan Jovanovich, M.Sc.Arch. I even attached MP3 with pronouncing. I will have to work a little on my profile :rolleyes: .

And big image below is Belgrade.

His_masters_voice.mp3

post-1711-0-56442700-1403341375_thumb.jpg

Okay  Bojan,  I did part 3 for you.  Initially you did not say you were from  Serbia.  I guess since you live in  Serbia you have no clue as to who the Boston Red Sox are.  But you know who  Bosnia Herzgovinia soccer team is,  they are playing Nigeria today in the World Cup,  should be a fun game to watch,  I enjoy watching Nigeria,  a very offensive minded team.   A lot of  good World Cup  games today,  Argentina,  Iran,  Germany,  Ghana,  Nigeria and  BIH are playing.

Hey dshall, you pronounce really good. Looks like you had been practicing over that mp3 file. I was following some baseball on sport channel, but I just can't figure out. Maybe you should make a vid  :blink:

However, Football makes much more sense to me. I am surprised that you are following soccer, feel welcome to join me and the crowd in sport cafe, over World Cup greased with beer and grill...

I learned a lot from part 3, mostly that you are one persistent... This stuff took a loads of patience and determination.  I am still slightly concerned with framing inconsistency between left and right side, I will redraw entire stuff all over again from scratch and experiment a little.

Awesome job this roof stuff.

I started  playing soccer back in 1966 before you were born,  I played  until 1984 when I screwed  up my knee.  Had an operation on the knee, for the next 4 years I would try to play each season,  lasted a few games and I  would blow out the knee again,  finally gave up and I am now stuck playing golf at a very low level.

Baseball is a waste of time....  unless the San Diego Padres are having a good year and that hasn't happened for 20 years.  

American football is great.  In two months a new season starts and I will be spending every Sunday prone on the sofa wasting my life watching football games.

I do not think you  should start from scratch and redraw,  I think you will learn more if you take existing plan and learn to make that work by editing the existing plan.

CA is very forgivable when it comes to editing a plan.

I will listen to you advice. Problem is that somewhere 3 days ago I lost patience and started messing with roofs big-time, editing wall by brutal force, and I have to clear all of that. This story -and-a-half has killed entire CA logic - second floor is only like 5ft. tall, and "ceiling over this room option is checked out, so, I will play, just to see what happens.