Vector views - see through glass

RobWhite

How do I enable vector view to see through glass. I am displaying a 3D view of a bathroom and want to see through the shower screens to see the tiles and fixtures (in vector). I don't particularly want to see through the window, but I think the program only allows the option to view through either all glass or none. (I am recollecting from earlier versions.

I use CA X9

Yes, but I want to see through it. By default my vector view does not set the glazing as see through. I am not sure where I set the default to make glass see through. Generally when I create elevations I don't want the window see through so I have. If I create a view (camera or section) in standard or photo finish the glass is see through, but not in vector. I was back in something like version 10 I found a default setting to allow vector view (camera view in line configuration) to see through glass.

I have attached a sample of what I am view. The shower screen in the standard view is see through and the same in vector view is not see through. How do I change the vector view to be see through so I can view the tiles and fixtures?

View 6 Standard view.jpg

View 6 Vector.jpg

The lack of transparency in vector views is a super annoying limitation to me.  There are at least 4 options though...

1.  Use walls and create you glass panels out of windows and doors. Glass in windows and doors CAN be displayed as transparent in vector views.

2.  Create a custom symbol consisting of only a 2D beveled edge frame.  Set the stretch planes and use that for your shower glass.  Actually, in this particular case I guess all you would need to do is leave the frame and delete the glass.

3.  Use the watercolor with line drawing rendering technique.  You'll find that if you toggle textures off and play with the watercolor and line drawing settings that you can get something basically identical to a vector view...but with transparent glass.

Just got back to the office and thought I'd throw a couple quick examples out there.

Here's a couple quick examples using option #2 from above...

Vector example.jpgVector example with shadows.jpg

And here's a quick example using regular glass polyline solids and option #3 from above...

Waterline 2.jpg

They're just quick examples and the latter obviously doesn't have the hardware but it should give you the idea.  After playing around with it for a bit and testing the way shadows come into play, I'm really thinking I prefer Option #2 for everything except maybe ray traces.

Here's the base symbol I used to create the shower panels for anyone who wants to try it out...

Glass Panel example.calibz

And Option #4.  Simply use the Delete Surface tool to temporarily delete the glass faces for those vector views.  This might actually be the quickest and easiest option.  Yep...this is probably what I will usually do from now on unless I need more accurate shadows in which case I think option #2 is better.  This only took 4 clicks...

First.jpg

Second.jpg