Thom-L

Looking for assistance in creating arch building shell template.

We are looking to purchase the Chief Architect Pro version of software to create floor plans for our high performance building shell packages (think 21st century Quonset Huts”).  The problem is that this version of the software does not provide us with the ability to create arch or barrel shaped building shells.

We understand that the Premier software package has the ability to create the building shells we need, but at this time with the Pro version selling for $500.00, paying over 5 times more money for the Premier version that has only one feature that we are looking for is difficult.  We are testing the $99.00 Home Designer Suite that already has far more capabilities than we need, but if the Pro version could be modified to fit our needs than we would purchase this product.  

We have been informed by the support staff at Chief Architect that a template can be created and inserted into the Pro software.  They connected us to this forum.

At this time our building shell system contains only three components, glulam shoes that secure the shell to a foundation, 12”x3 1/8” laminated wood arches that have an outside radius of 20’ and 4’x8’x6” molded SIP panels that are formed to fit the outside radius of the glulam arches.  We create different width and height building shells by using shorter or longer glulams of the same radius.  

What we need is the ability to create floor plans that correlate with the interior side walls of our arch building shells.

If anyone in the forum has the ability to create this template detail and has an interest in assisting us, we would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you.

Thom Labrie

G - 15 Panel Full Cut Away.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Drawzilla;

Thank you for your feedback.

Since our objective is to have a temporary, user friendly, economic and basic floor plan software to use until we need something more complex down the road, we are not interested in spending $2,700.00 at this time.

We suspect when the time comes to hire an individual in the future to handle full time floor plan development, that they will already have a preference for a specific software that might not necessarily be a Chief Architect product.

Again, thank you.

Thom

We have tried the Suite version and are very happy with this tool.  We know the Pro version will be even better and provide us with far more capabilities than we need.  We have been informed by the people at Chief Architect that the template we need can be developed in their Premier version and then imported into the pro version.

We do not have the experience in house to create the solution, but am confident that the skillset needed is embodied in one or more members of this forum..

13 minutes ago, Thom-L said:

We have been informed by the people at Chief Architect that the template we need can be developed in their Premier version and then imported into the pro version.

Of course, it can be done but you should check out the differences if you want to actually work in the pro version. That's not the typical building Chief gears itself to. Just sending it to the pro version is the easy part. Check out how many pages you can print in the pro version ,at one time, there are lots of other things or I and just about everyone else would be using it.

• Upvote 1

Nice looking building.  I don't know if you want to start into this with a $99 design product.  This building may need some elaborate construction documents to get through the building department for permits.  Most of the forum members here use the Chief Architect premier software.  You may be better off turning it over to someone that spends all day using this software.

• Upvote 1

Hi:

I guess I am curious as to why PRO can't do it ?

PRO has manual roof tools that should be the same or nearly the same as Premier ?

I am not a roof expert at all - but this is my understanding

also a Chief Premier user should be able to create that roof template for you and then set the "allow editing in HD"  (not sure of wording of that setting)

but it has to be done by the same version of Chief Premier as your HD PRO

Lew

• Upvote 1

Perry:

some do use PRO for their business

for over a decade I have advocated that CA change PRO's name to Master or Deluxe

I agree while it is possible to do condocs and plans in PRO if you are in business then Premier is the better choice

at $495 PRO is 20% of what Premier costs and that translates into 20% of the features Premier has

Lew