Program Failure

CheifArchTim

The program crashed on me and I lost everything I was working on for the last 4 hrs. is there a way to restore this, a message box popped up on screen saying something about a serious error occurred and I need to contact Chief to restore, any help is appreciated greatly.

9 minutes ago, CheifArchTim said:

The program crashed on me and I lost everything I was working on for the last 4 hrs. is there a way to restore this, a message box popped up on screen saying something about a serious error occurred and I need to contact Chief to restore, any help is appreciated greatly.

Did you contact Chief Tech Support?

Chief will auto save copies of your files depending on what type of crash your computer experiences. If the crash is within Chief those files will be auto saved in the archives according to the time between saves setting you have.

If it's a general system crash Chief cannot save those auto saved files but will rely on your archive setting (once every hour etc.) and you may lose, at worst, an hour's worth of work, again depending on that setting.

8 minutes ago, CheifArchTim said:

I do have auto save set to 5 minutes in preferences, would I need to call the chief tech support or is there a way to recover from the program, without contacting them.

Perfect example. If it was a crash within Chief, Chief is designed to save those files as an .auotsave.bak file and should be able to go to the archive file and retrieve the file no more than 5 minutes old. If it was a system crash Chief can't save that file before it closes and you can't retrieve that file, but there are other files based upon the other setting within that dbx.

Contacting support is always smart in these cases as I found out the above information the hard way. Chief does it best but cannot insulate from a general system crash.

10 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Rule of the story is to get into the habit of hitting save every chance you get, I know I do. Never lost anything yet.

Actually doesn't/can't help in every situation. Been there and done that hitting save like a mad man and still losing work. Again depends on how Chief crashes and envy your perfect record..

as a retired programmer I prefer to do my own "Save as"

I don't rely on Chief's archive system

It may be fine but old habits are hard to break

I like adding date/time to the file name and other info such as my initials or my partner his initials etc

I prefer the control this gives me

Lew