Plot Plan and dimensioning

SNestor

How do you dimension the distance between the property line and the setback line?  I can't seem to get any of the dimension styles to "click" onto these lines.  Do I have to draw a perpendicular line and add arrows to the line...and show the dimension?  

Surely I'm missing something simple...

Thanks

PLOT PLAN DIMENSIONS.jpg

1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Make sure the lines are parallel using the make parallel tool 

Thanks Perry...the S/B lines are parallel.  Just double checked.  I used concentric mode when I created the setback line...so, they should remain parallel.  

Is there a way to force a dimension type to be "perpendicular"?  Such as using either tab or some other method?  

Steve,

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

I should add that I am trying to dimension the site plan in a "Cad Detail" window...maybe that is the problem?

I always dimension in the Plan.  It's much easier IMO.

Of course, my Annoset & Layer Set is setup so that I can do this and just send the Site Plan to Layout.  I never got the idea of using a CAD Detail Window for the Site Plan.

Steve

Toggle off Angle Snaps.

Just to simplify things, toggle off all other snaps except On Object and Perpendicular Extensions.

Drag an End to End dimension between the 2 lines.

The On Object snap ensures you snap to the lines, and the Perpendicular Extensions does just that.  

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

We could keep guessing all day long but you'd probably have an accurate answer in mere minutes if you were to just post the plan.

I don't think it's a "plan issue"...I think it's a user (me) issue.  I think Glenn may have nailed it.  It's probably an "angle snap" issue.  I could not get the dim line to snap from the setback line or the property line.  They were parallel.  Just wouldn't snap.  The lines are just simple Cad Lines...so...nothing complex.  

14 minutes ago, glennw said:

Steve

Toggle off Angle Snaps.

Just to simplify things, toggle off all other snaps except On Object and Perpendicular Extensions.

The On Object snap ensures you snap to the lines, and the Perpendicular Extensions does just that.  

Think you have figured it out...

Thanks all...I appreciate the help.  

4 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I don't think it's a "plan issue"...I think it's a user (me) issue.

Ya, I realize that.  The problem is that we could spend all day long guessing at what your settings are and what you're doing differently that may be causing the problem.  It's all good.  Hopefully Glenn's guess works for you. 

• Upvote 1

Steve,

Just an additional note, if you don't use the above method..

With Angle Snaps toggled on, you can sometimes get a dimension that is not perpendicular to the lines.

You can then use Make Parallel to make the dimension line perpendicular.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Steve

Toggle off Angle Snaps.

This is the solution that works for me with the same problem.

What Glenn said.  it's all about the snaps and angles.  however, it would be nice for these to work a little easier, they definitely take getting the right settings.  often times i need to create a dimension between two lines then drag to the home for it to work between a line and the home, since the home's corner is not necessarily parallel to the lines.  good luck.

25 minutes ago, BenPalmer said:

What Glenn said.  it's all about the snaps and angles.  however, it would be nice for these to work a little easier, they definitely take getting the right settings.  often times i need to create a dimension between two lines then drag to the home for it to work between a line and the home, since the home's corner is not necessarily parallel to the lines.  good luck.

In a way...it's heartening to know I'm not the only one having trouble with dimensioning a plot plan.  

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

You can also use point to point dimensions and either;

• Reduce the marker radius to zero
  • Change the marker line style to the invisible line style
  • Put the markers on their own layer and turn the layer off

Or you can use these...

MANUAL ELEVATION MARKERS

Neither of the above have any off angle limitations.  The problem with normal dimensions is that they must be snapped to the end of a line making it essentially impossible to dimension certain situations without using one of the above methods.  

You can also simply place a break in your line to force your dimension to snap anywhere you want but then you have a broken line...not exactly a good thing in some situations...especially if you're displaying the line's length/angle in a plot plan. 

39 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can also use point to point dimensions and either;

• Reduce the marker radius to zero
  • Change the marker line style to the invisible line style
  • Put the markers on their own layer and turn the layer off

Or you can use these...

MANUAL ELEVATION MARKERS

Neither of the above have any off angle limitations.  The problem with normal dimensions is that they must be snapped to the end of a line making it essentially impossible to dimension certain situations without using one of the above methods.  

You can also simply place a break in your line to force your dimension to snap anywhere you want but then you have a broken line...not exactly a good thing in some situations...especially if you're displaying the line's length/angle in a plot plan. 

It's...in my opinion...nowhere near that complicated. In all the years I have used Chief, back to v9, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I have used the point to point dim tool. Using CNRL D works the best for me.  

15 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

It's...in my opinion...nowhere near that complicated. In all the years I have used Chief, back to v9, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I have used the point to point dim tool. Using CNRL D works the best for me.  

I agree.  It's a very rare situation that requires the aforementioned solutions...I was just offering the solutions for whenever the need might arise. 

3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I simply place the dim..let it pick up what ever it's going to pick up and while its still selected hit CNRL D and choose the line I want it perpendicular to. That way I don't have to turn the snaps on and off. 

Great tip.  However, sometimes it doesn't pick anything up if the proper snaps aren't on...but if a busy site, then it should pick something.

Thanks again for the tip.  Lots of good things here that should help users in each circumstance.

2 hours ago, joey_martin said:

What is CNRL D?