Corrupted Library Items

KilianDrafting

Is there any way to access individual user created library items outside of chief to delete corrupted files? I have a detail I added to the library, but I changed some things and added it back to the library with the same name. The new one is good but the old one, every time I click on it, I get an error message. I can't delete it inside chief so I was hoping I could delete it some other way. Any help would be appreciated. 

On 2/15/2017 at 7:09 AM, KilianDrafting said:

Is there any way to access individual user created library items outside of chief to delete corrupted files? I have a detail I added to the library, but I changed some things and added it back to the library with the same name. The new one is good but the old one, every time I click on it, I get an error message. I can't delete it inside chief so I was hoping I could delete it some other way. Any help would be appreciated. 

I am having the same problem.

Mike, I don't think when that happens it lets you delete the folder because of that file in it. Happened to me a few times I had to go in and dump the entire User folder from the hard drive and reinstall from the backup. Since that happened I have been backing up that folder on the regular basis because I lost everything I made and it's a good thing because it happened a few times after that. 

3 hours ago, Greg_NY61 said:

Mike, I don't think when that happens it lets you delete the folder because of that file in it. Happened to me a few times I had to go in and dump the entire User folder from the hard drive and reinstall from the backup. Since that happened I have been backing up that folder on the regular basis because I lost everything I made and it's a good thing because it happened a few times after that. 

Interesting.  In that case, group select and export everything except that 1 item, delete the user catalog, and then import what you previously exported. 

I tried to export all but that file, but it crashes the program. I had customer support fix it for me last time, but I had to rename and delete the entire library and import their library they had with the corrupted file removed. They were able to keep all my other items, but it just seems like there should be a way to find the file myself in windows file explorer to remove just that item.

4 hours ago, KilianDrafting said:

I tried to export all but that file, but it crashes the program. I had customer support fix it for me last time, but I had to rename and delete the entire library and import their library they had with the corrupted file removed. They were able to keep all my other items, but it just seems like there should be a way to find the file myself in windows file explorer to remove just that item.

You can't get that one file to delete, you have to dump the whole thing and install a new user library and if you don't have a backup for whatever you have in there, you screwed.

Quick clarification. The User Catalog is a database. The corrupt objects that are stored in this database, corrupt or otherwise, are all reindexed every time there is a change made to the database.

This means that there are no 'files' to look for. All the data is embedded in a single database file.

In support, we can typically try to manually open the database and delete the corrupt entry, but then we would recommend backing up and reimporting the User Catalog to try and purge any remnants of the corrupted object.

Ideally, it would be helpful to narrow down why the corruption occurs on certain objects and find a way to prevent that from happening at all.

Can any of you recall specifics about the corrupted object or what events you saw on the system, or in Chief prior to these objects becoming corrupt?

I think both times it happened, I was adding created objects or cad details I had modified back to the library as the same name. For instance this last time I modified a footing detail I have and added it back to the library. I got a warning about the block having the same name. (See attached)  I think I selected yes to replace the items. I had two different blocks with the same name. The new one was fine but the old one, I couldn't move, delete, rename, or export without getting an error message.

Chief Warning 1..png 

I tried to duplicate what I thought was the problem this morning, but didn't get the same result.

Chief Warning.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2017 at 5:05 AM, KirkClemons said:

Thank you! I will play around with different CAD blocks to try and reproduce this problem.

Not sure if you ever pinned this problem down, but I just had this happen when trying to block a polyline distribution path and add it to the library. 

For what its worth in case anyone else runs into this problem again, I actually WAS able to use my suggestion from above to remedy the problem.  I group selected my entire User Catalog except for that one single item, exported it, deleted my User_library.calib file and then re-imported the rest. 

2 hours ago, KirkClemons said:

No, I haven't been able to reproduce this at all on my end.

I will try distribution regions and see if I have any luck.

For whatever it's worth, it was a polyline distribution path that was using a cad block as it's distributed object.

Good question Joe, it was actually the first time I ever tried to block a distributed object.  I'm away from my computer now, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the block I made from the distributed object had to be an architectural block but the object I was using was definitely a CAD block.  

• 2 years later...

Corrupted Library Item UPDATE

I've been frustrated by a corrupted library item for years. I finally figured out a simple method to delete it that worked!

In the library browser, I group selected an 'unimportant' item along with the corrupted item. I was then able to move them to the trash. I then moved the 'keepers' back to the user library, and emptied the trash. At last, the corrupted library item is gone!

I was too scared to follow Michael's suggested method; export then deleting the entire user library just made me nervous.

I thought I had posted this somewhere at some point but I can't find it, so...another thing that works for some corrupted library items is this:

Don't try to right click.  Instead, try using the Delete Key or Backspace on your keyboard.  Using the key and using right click don't behave the same.