X9 beta version Failure to Ray Trace

VHampton

Hi All,

The new version has a glitch when attempting to Ray Trace even something as simple as four walls and a base cabinet.

Have tried all the possible fixes and it won't get past go. Anyone else? Is there a setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance. Val

error message.JPGRay Trace dialogue box.JPG

I'm glad that you haven't. Thanks again though.

My video card is a GeForceGTX745 with 4 gigabytes of muscle.  ie...4G

Oh well. Back to X8.

....This latest version only seems to have stair rail options, and so far, ...that's all I can see, other than the camera settings and line work options are more intricate.  ...Not so sure that the beta upgrade is worth the hassle, especially when this kind of stuff happens.

Thanks Graham. This is good to know.

According to the lengthy troubleshooting checklist which I followed, apparently if all else fails, it's an anti-virus setting. This seems seems strange, because X8 works just fine.

Things that make you go hmmm?

12 minutes ago, VHampton said:
  • Out of curiosity I into the X8 program file, and copied the RayTrace folder out from the list.
  • Went into the X9 program files and deleted the same folder.
  • Dragged the X8 RayTrace folder into it's place. Problem solved. We're RayTracing once again.

For anyone reading this we strongly advise you do not do this. This will not actually resolve the issue although it may prevent the error. You will not get the features of the X9 ray tracer, you will be using the old X8 technology.  This is however a good troubleshooting step that may help us try and track down why this issue is occurring on some machines.  The actual problem is likely related to the error message posted in the prior post.  We are looking into the issue.

Totally agree Brian.  But I finally had to do my own troubleshooting after exhausting each and every step.  For what it's worth, the RayTracing results are equal to, if not better than the X8 release.  Very crisp.  

However unorthodox a fix this this may have been, I agree not to try this without the understanding that it could backfire.  It's still much better than getting an error message though.  My computer is only 12 months old and it's definitely not a hardware deficiency.  Have lots of ram, and 4gigs on a video card.  This alone should run circles around most laptop set ups

....thank you very much for looking into this.  Like you said, don't try this at home. :)

Val, I have the same problem and Support sent the issue to the developers.

Ray trace works fine on one of my computers and doesn't on another.  The one it does not work on has a NVdia GTX 285 1 GB memory - yep that's vintage but the computer ray trace does work on is more vintage.  I can't say I'm glad you're having the problem but it's good to know I'm not the only one,

Ron

2009 Gateway FX 6801 12 GB memory
intel i7 2.67 GHz - Windows 7 64 bit 
NVdia GTX 285 1 GB memory (a clunker now) - dual 24" monitors
1 TB SATA2 HDD

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the message Ron.

It's helpful to hear that it's not just a quirk on my machine alone. The failure for the RayTrace engine to start could be just about anything, including a simple NVidia setting.  

....And again, by no means did I post my bush fix as a way for others to follow. Windows 7 is like having an old car, where you can get under the hood and do a bit of tinkering if you know what you're doing.   ...Anyway, problem solved, even if it's not recommended!

I was discussing this issue with the lead developer for the ray trace engine last night.  It looks like the problem is that the ray trace will not run if a certain system dll is missing.  Apparently, this dll is installed on all of our machines in-house but not for everyone else. 

We are working on a fix for this. If you need any additional help, please feel free to contact technical support.

4 hours ago, Chief_QA said:

The missing DLL was provided in a windows update KB2999226 which may not have been installed on your system or maybe failed to install.  If you run the Visual C++ Redistributable for 2015 found on the Microsoft website it should resolve your problem. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Unfortunately this did not solve my problem....  I even called Microsoft to ensure I had the download you suggested and it was clearly installed.  And the reason I called MS is it took a call to MS last week to have SP1 installed properly.

Plan C?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks to both Ed and Brian, and Dermot. The download seems to have been the solution.

That said, I undid the not recommended RayTrace implant from X8 into X9...by reinserting the proper X9 RayTrace folder.  Then we downloaded the Virtual C install.

It now works wonderfully. .

Not having seen the full ability of the new X9 RayTrace process, until I finally had it working....I was mistaken. It streams noticeably better than all previous releases.

At the end of the day, I greatly appreciate the resolve, and hope that anyone who runs into this issue will go with the Chief resolution and not my method. I am not a programmer and never plan on becoming one, even if I know my way around PCs. My time is better spent drawing houses!

All the best, Val

The missing DLL was provided in a windows update KB2999226 which may not have been installed on your system or maybe failed to install.  If you run the Visual C++ Redistributable for 2015 found on the Microsoft website it should resolve your problem. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

•  

Ed Schafer

SW Testing Manager

Chief Architect Inc.