Creating a Molding Line

Lynsey_FP

I have tried messing with that option but I believe it is giving me issues because it is on a curved wall. I can get the top and bottom pieces to follow the curve but the sides are not facing the correct way. I have gotten them to appear on the other side of the wall but cannot seem to get it flipped. 

Lindsay,  I just tried a test plan and 3D Molding Polylines do not seem to play well with curved walls in the vertical direction.  Unless someone comes up with a brilliant method you may have to go manual on this.  Draw your profile in plan view and rotate to match curve of wall,convert polyline to polyline solid and extrude with thickness setting and set elevation or go back to elevation view and adjust,then paint as required.

If you are using an existing profile you can find it in the library and left click then select "Place Molding Profile".  This works in plan view in X7 and also in elevation view but in elevation view you will get "flyers" that you will have to go looking for on the outskirts to be able to use.  I believe I tried it Eric's way the first time and it works but is quite painful on a curved surface because you need to make a custom rotated profile for each placement and it is a big guessing game.

"Draw your profile in plan view and rotate to match curve of wall,convert polyline to polyline solid and extrude with thickness setting and set elevation or go back to elevation view and adjust,then paint as required." 

This is the best solution I have come across. I have done a lot of toying with the program and this seems to work best. The only thing I have yet to figure out is how to connect the vertical trim piece with the horizontal piece and make it look mitered, so for now this is the best I can do. 

Thanks for everyone's help! 

Lynsey, You can take a look at this other post that was a similar situation that I helped out with and did a little polyline subtracting to cope the joint with the molding polyline.  I am still not sure it is possible to get a true miter when working on a curve unless you turn the whole unit into a symbol or hire Yusuf.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/11548-wainscotingmolding/

Here are a couple other options that may be worth considering depending on the situation (one of which is only possible in X9)...

Option 1:

Use a window.

1. Draw an arc along your desired wall profile to get an accurate dimension.
  2. Open a blank plan and draw your desired molding to the appropriate dimensions along a flat surface.
  3. Open a 3D view and convert to symbol.
  4. When prompted to select a Symbol Category, select Window and Add To Library.
  5. Go to your main plan and copy the arced wall section and paste into a blank plan.
  6. Open the wall, take note of the thickness, and then change the wall type to be one single layer the same thickness as your original wall.
  7. Select the new "window" from your library and place it into that wall. 
  8. Resize the "window" as necessary and/or click the Open Symbol tool and adjust the rotation and/or origin offsets as necessary.
  9. Open a 3D view and use the delete surface tool to delete the wall...leaving only the curved molding profile.
  10. Convert To Symbol but this time just add it to library as a normal fixture type.
  11. Place the new curved molding into your original plan.

It's really a bit easier than it sounds.  I guess the concept of using a window has been around for quite some time but it was only recently introduced to me by The Incomparable Yusef.  He and others have used a similar method by utilizing the "Treatments" tab and by creating and attaching the object to be bent as an exterior "Millwork".  I recently realized that just setting an object to be the actual window makes it a LOT easier to tweak it as necessary.

Option 2 shortly...

Option 2:

For anyone using X9 wanting to create simple arced picture frame type molding...Use a Wall Niche.

1. Draw a wall niche on your arced wall.
  2. Set the depth of the niche to 1/16"
  3. Apply a casing to the niche.

You now have a molding profile that is very easy to change, reshape, and resize.  Just draw multiple niches as necessary for additional similar profiles.  This obviously has much more limited uses but is still pretty cool. 

You can also use a similar technique in pre-X9 versions to create the casing.  You just need to go through the steps of deleting surfaces and converting the curved casing to a symbol.  Of course you lose the ability to easily modify the casing but at least you know it's an option.

6 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

..........Here arouple other options that may be worth considering depending on the situation (one of which is only possib

It's really a bit easier than it sounds.  I guess the concept of using a window has been around for quite some time but it was only recently introduced to me by The Incomparable Yusef.  He and others have used a similar method by utilizing the "Treatments" tab and by creating and attaching the object to be bent as an exterior "Millwork".  I recently realized that just setting an object to be the actual window makes it a LOT easie, 

Michael

Thank you very much. You bet!

You know know, you are man of the year really. You are grateful to the few tips we share and some of us are so bnuckle headed to appreciate the bunch of helpful tips and techniques you share every day. that is why you are circling the macro experts... I appreciate and advice those of you, who need to know more about chief plus macros and utilize their benefits. Michael is man of the year!! He and his macros are very well appreciated too. 

I am going to learn the great works from your recent posts too.

Best.