Computer Specs, is this still good enough

Electromen

I have an Apple Mac Pro (4.1) tower from 2009.  I wondering if it's time to upgrade.  

3D views appear in about 1 sec., Ray Trace sometimes take an hour for 10 passes but the drawings are large.

Mac Pro 2009

Processors: Two-2.26GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, eight cores total

Memory:  16GB 1066 MHZ DDR3 ECC

Graphics:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX680 2048 GB

Boot Drive: 500GB Intel SSD

Three more internal HDD: 2TB WD Black Caviar

35 minutes ago, Electromen said:

I have an Apple Mac Pro (4.1) tower from 2009.  I wondering if it's time to upgrade.  

3D views appear in about 1 sec., Ray Trace sometimes take an hour for 10 passes but the drawings are large.

Mac Pro 2009

Processors: Two-2.26GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, eight cores total

Memory:  16GB 1066 MHZ DDR3 ECC

Graphics:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX680 2048 GB

Boot Drive: 500GB Intel SSD

Three more internal HDD: 2TB WD Black Caviar

What timing, I was wondering the same thing.  The top pic is what I have now,  the other one is what I can upgrade to.

From what I have gathered,  the MAC PRO is not a big advantage.  I think the processor speed is important.  Yours is 2-2.26 ghz,  mine is a 3.5 ghz,  I can upgrade to a 4.0 ghz if I buy the latest.  However if I upgrade,  I go from a NVIDIA CARD to a AMD RADEON........  this is all Greek to me,   but I thought the NVIDIA CARD plays better with CA.  But I do not know.

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 9.12.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 9.11.10 AM.png

Maybe somebody else will give us some guidance.

my experience has been that NVidia has always been the card to use with Chief ,but not sure about the latest ATI cards. I have had to get a new computer or upgrade the one I have about every 4 years. Each new version just needs more resources than the last one.

35 minutes ago, dshall said:

What timing, I was wondering the same thing.  The top pic is what I have now,  the other one is what I can upgrade to.

From what I have gathered,  the MAC PRO is not a big advantage.  I think the processor speed is important.  Yours is 2-2.26 ghz,  mine is a 3.5 ghz,  I can upgrade to a 4.0 ghz if I buy the latest.  However if I upgrade,  I go from a NVIDIA CARD to a AMD RADEON........  this is all Greek to me,   but I thought the NVIDIA CARD plays better with CA.  But I do not know.

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 9.12.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 9.11.10 AM.png

Maybe somebody else will give us some guidance.

HERE are some Mac Benchmarks, also look at the multi core results