Terrain Elevation Data

SNestor

I need to create a site plan for a lot that is on a steep hill.  The only document I have is a PDF topo.  It shows the elevation counters.  

Is there anyway I can import this data?  If not...is there a place I can get the data...such as a local government agency website?  

If not...would I just have to trace the contour lines on the PDF?

Thanks!

LOT 28R - 1741 Grassy Meadow - TOPO Survey.pdf

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Steve,  Give the surveyor a call and explain the situation. Ask for the Cad file so that you can import it. Usually works for me.

Again,  the chopster has the answer.  And if you are lucky,  the topo lines you import from the  surveyor are "smart" topo line and there is an elevation associated with it.....  IOW,  you will not need to define the contour elevation,  it will be auto.

I did a vid on this several years ago you might be able to find.

Thanks guys...I'm not sure that will work for this job.  It's a lot my friend just purchased in North Carolina.   I will ask him if he can get it.  The subdivision went belly up in 2009...most of the companies are most likely gone.  

Other than getting the topo...do I just trace the major contours?  This job does not require perfection.  

Steve, It is not likely that the surveyor went out of business even if he did not get paid for this particular job.  Also I noticed that the date on the survey is 01/18/17 so it looks like maybe your friend maybe hired him quite recently and has already paid for the services.

Does the name Patrick Barder mean anything to you?

And yes if you are absolutely stuck you can trace the PDF but it is a painful process and not likely necessary this time.

If you trace then it is your work, and if you import then you can use the surveyor as a reference.

Good Luck,B)

6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Steve, It is not likely that the surveyor went out of business even if he did not get paid for this particular job.  Also I noticed that the date on the survey is 01/18/17 so it looks like maybe your friend maybe hired him quite recently and has already paid for the services.

Does the name Patrick Barder mean anything to you?

And yes if you are absolutely stuck you can trace the PDF but it is a painful process and not likely necessary this time.

If you trace then it is your work, and if you import then you can use the surveyor as a reference.

Good Luck,B)

Pat is my friend.  You might be right...I might be able to get the file.  I've asked...we will see.  

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

This is the most valid reason for hunting down the DWG.

Surveyor is licensed. You have some redress if things are not correct. - Who is liable for errors? Much better if it's not you.

I have been adding a note to my plot plans similar to this:

PLOT PLAN: This is not a plat or survey but was drawn from information deemed reliable and is offered soley as a visual aid and without warranty of any kind as to its accuracy. Charles Volz DBA Castlerock Designer Homes advises builder to a) secure a current perimeter, tree and topographical survey made by a Registered Professional Land Surveyor, to verify the location and/or availability of utilities, easements, perimeter boundaries and flood plain boundaries, and c) to have a Registered Professional Land Surveyor locate (and stake) all property lines, building setback lines and the proposed improvements on the site prior to any construction. All information furnished is from sources deemed reliable but is submitted subject to errors and omissions.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CharlesVolz said:

I have been adding a note to my plot plans similar to this:

PLOT PLAN: This is not a plat or survey but was drawn from information deemed reliable and is offered soley as a visual aid and without warranty of any kind as to its accuracy. Charles Volz DBA Castlerock Designer Homes advises builder to a) secure a current perimeter, tree and topographical survey made by a Registered Professional Land Surveyor, to verify the location and/or availability of utilities, easements, perimeter boundaries and flood plain boundaries, and c) to have a Registered Professional Land Surveyor locate (and stake) all property lines, building setback lines and the proposed improvements on the site prior to any construction. All information furnished is from sources deemed reliable but is submitted subject to errors and omissions.

Thanks Charles I just added similar text based on yours to my Layout Template.

Steve,  there are also a ton of PDF to DWG converters out there.  Just do a quick search.  Most of them offer a free trial or a free online conversion service.  

I think some are better than others, you may end up with lots of little disconnected line segments, and if you use a trial version you may end up with extra linework/"watermarks" BUT no matter what...at least you'll have something to snap to.  

Steve,

Here's your plot plan.  It's in Chief X9 Beta.  You can delete the box house I drew on it.  The Audio/Video layer has the image of your PDF locked on it.  You can turn this off/on.  A copy of the initial plot plan and image (minus the elevation data are on a CAD detail named "PLOT".

On the plan I added a terrain large enough to include the roadway, then drew elevations 2140', 2132', 2130', 2120', 2110', & 2100'.  The 10's are in blue E/L line type.  The 2132' is red.  Chief's then drew in the 2' natural gradients which closely approximate the lot's fall, but if you want, you can copy and past the 2132' elevation over any of the other PDF elevations and then adjust the spline, adding break points as necessary to get the proper curves.  Remember to open the line and re-enter the correct elevation for any new locations you add.

I've drawn a 3 sided fence around the perimeter, a road with a cul-de-sac and for fun I dropped in some trees.  I drew a 1st floor box set of walls so that I could look at the elevation in 3d.  Without the box chief wings it and you'll need a lot of luck to find an empty terrain in 3d view.

If you take this plan, unlock the Audio/Video, select all, and open the transform/replicate object tool, you can rotate everything 158d3'0"  (enter that in the rotate angle box.)

This will rotate the lot so that it is facing downward and everything you draw is parallel to the N68d03'0"E front property line.  Meaning the house will directly face the road.  I've shown this in the PLOT cad detail.  you can practice there first.

Once you are done drawing the house, you can place a footprint on the PLOT cad detail (turn off the Audio/Video layer) rotate the footprint to match up with the plot plan shown at the true angle, turn on all elevation details and you will have a good representation to place on your layout pages.

I've included some isometric views of the lot and a zipped file of the plan.

Let me know if this works for you.

MCC28.zip

ISO-RearRight.jpg

ISO-FrontLeft.jpg

ISO-FrontRight.jpg

ISO-RearLeft.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2017 at 10:56 AM, JiAngelo said:

Steve,

Here's your plot plan.  It's in Chief X9 Beta.  You can delete the box house I drew on it.  The Audio/Video layer has the image of your PDF locked on it.  You can turn this off/on.  A copy of the initial plot plan and image (minus the elevation data are on a CAD detail named "PLOT".

On the plan I added a terrain large enough to include the roadway, then drew elevations 2140', 2132', 2130', 2120', 2110', & 2100'.  The 10's are in blue E/L line type.  The 2132' is red.  Chief's then drew in the 2' natural gradients which closely approximate the lot's fall, but if you want, you can copy and past the 2132' elevation over any of the other PDF elevations and then adjust the spline, adding break points as necessary to get the proper curves.  Remember to open the line and re-enter the correct elevation for any new locations you add.

I've drawn a 3 sided fence around the perimeter, a road with a cul-de-sac and for fun I dropped in some trees.  I drew a 1st floor box set of walls so that I could look at the elevation in 3d.  Without the box chief wings it and you'll need a lot of luck to find an empty terrain in 3d view.

If you take this plan, unlock the Audio/Video, select all, and open the transform/replicate object tool, you can rotate everything 158d3'0"  (enter that in the rotate angle box.)

This will rotate the lot so that it is facing downward and everything you draw is parallel to the N68d03'0"E front property line.  Meaning the house will directly face the road.  I've shown this in the PLOT cad detail.  you can practice there first.

Once you are done drawing the house, you can place a footprint on the PLOT cad detail (turn off the Audio/Video layer) rotate the footprint to match up with the plot plan shown at the true angle, turn on all elevation details and you will have a good representation to place on your layout pages.

I've included some isometric views of the lot and a zipped file of the plan.

Let me know if this works for you.

MCC28.zip

ISO-RearRight.jpg

ISO-FrontLeft.jpg

ISO-FrontRight.jpg

ISO-RearLeft.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to work on this...

Did you just trace the lines on the PDF?

That's the simplest answer.   I spent half an hour Sunday trying to verbally outline all the steps,  gave up and just did it in the other half hour.

First step is to draw the perimeter per the North/South vectors shown on a survey.  The radius edges will drive you nuts until you've practiced it a few times - I can't explain it,  I just know how to do it.   Then snapshot the Pdf image and paste it into chief.   Then scale it to match the perimeter you drew,  lock the image layer,  copy the perimeter in place a few times,  convert one copy to a terrain,  then draw the elevation splines,  making sure they cross the edges of the terrain.  Add trees and a house.

Once you've rotated the entire terrain,  you can draw the house inside the setbacks and chief will auto set the first floor to a standard height.   If you have a walkout,  you can modify the terrain to show it properly as well. 

I'd hoped this would save you some frustration and give you something to play with and try to match.  

51 minutes ago, JiAngelo said:

That's the simplest answer.   I spent half an hour Sunday trying to verbally outline all the steps,  gave up and just did it in the other half hour.

First step is to draw the perimeter per the North/South vectors shown on a survey.  The radius edges will drive you nuts until you've practiced it a few times - I can't explain it,  I just know how to do it.   Then snapshot the Pdf image and paste it into chief.   Then scale it to match the perimeter you drew,  lock the image layer,  copy the perimeter in place a few times,  convert one copy to a terrain,  then draw the elevation splines,  making sure they cross the edges of the terrain.  Add trees and a house.

Once you've rotated the entire terrain,  you can draw the house inside the setbacks and chief will auto set the first floor to a standard height.   If you have a walkout,  you can modify the terrain to show it properly as well. 

I'd hoped this would save you some frustration and give you something to play with and try to match.  

John - I know how to create the perimeter...just wondered how you created the elevation lines?  Did you just trace the PDF?

Thanks for helping out...