X9 Walk-Through - Can't get "standard" format to record correctly

Christina_Girerd

I've never really done walk-throughs before, haven't felt the need.  But after seeing how much my clients love the new panoramas, I decided to look at walk-throughs again for a project that isn't really suitable for a panorama, especially since I haven't checked them out in several versions.  I'm now using X9.  I watched a couple Chief tutorials, downloaded the XVID 1.3.4 codec, set that in preferences, and set up some walk-throughs and then tried to record various options as I learn how this works.  I am using Windows Media Player for viewing after finding out that "Movies & TV" gives a "Can't play" error message for all the resulting walk-through files.  (Interestingly, when I had the XVID 1.3.2 codec installed, there were a couple avi files I could watch with the Movies & TV app.)

In a brand new test plan, (all preferences as default except for changing to the 1.3.4 XVID codec), I set up a short 3 camera walk through of a one room space and I found I could not make a viewable .avi file from the following options:  Standard, Painting, or Duotone.  However I was able to successfully record and view .avi files for Vector, Glass House, Technical Illustration, Watercolor and Line Drawing options.  I would like to be able to record and view in the Standard format.  Any suggestions?  Thanks...

Christina, Here are the settings that I use.  Give them a try and let me know if you still have issues.  There does seem to be an unexplained issue with Windows 10  Movies & TV but only some times and it will usually clear itself with a reboot.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/11830-3d-walk-through-101/?do=findComment&comment=101710

Thanks for the details.  Unfortunately, I tried your settings and it still produces a video that is mostly black with a few scattered vertical white lines.  Hmmm - will probably just use line drawing or one of the other options until I have time to experiment more.  I did do a reboot after changing the settings too, in case that was a factor.

Christina, I just ran a quick test in Standard view and played it with Windows 10 Movies & TV.  Everything seems to be functioning fine.  If you would like to post or send me your plan file, I could do a quick test and see if there is an issue with that and eliminate some variables if you like.  Could be video card or drivers but it is hard to know where to start.

If I try it with Movies & TV I get the  "Can't play - encoded in format that is not supported" and the error code 0xc00d5212.  I have attached the simple test plan that I tried after my project plan had problems.  I started it new from Chief's Profile template to make sure it wasn't a problem with my template plan.  The "f1" file is what resulted when I had it set to use the "Standard" option for render - with no other adjustments.  The "f5" file is the result when set to "Line Drawing."  The files will play on Windows Media Player and Cyber Link Power Media Player, but not on Movies & TV.  I also attached info about my computer and video card in case that is helpful.  Thanks for your help.

WalkThru Test Plan2.plan

f1.avi

f5 line.avi

ComputerInfo.JPG

Video Card.JPG

I was able to play both of your video's with Windows 10 Movies & TV, but unfortunately the first is mostly black with some vertical lines on the right side near the end as you describe and the second one is a not so impressive line drawing. Also tested the first video on VLC  which plays almost anything and got the same results.

Here is the video I shot with your plan file:  Girerd Test.avi  (Edit: Standard View and everything seems normal )

Video card and driver look fine to me but maybe someone with the exact same could compare.

Anything different in Render Preferences ?

Render Preferences.JPG

Edited by Chopsaw

Very interesting.  I would have figured that a 4GB Video card would handle that setting but obviously not.  Glad that did not take all weekend.  You can always upload to YouTube and post a link if you like.  I love when people share.  I will try and duplicate your failure as you have me very curious now.  Yes almost Identical failure results with Hardware Edge Smoothing: set to Medium.

Mike - The firepit is in Chief's Bonus catalog "Patio Firepits" - it is the "Tall Firepit" symbol and the fire is part of the symbol which is why it was showing even though it was daylight. 

Chopsaw - yes, I have noticed that turns are a bit tricky.  As I continued to play with those, I realize I need to set an extra keyframe to help modulate the speed.