Two story decks confuse me.

SNestor

I have a house where there is a deck on the main level...and a deck directly under it on "level 0"...or lower level.  

If I build the deck on the main level...all is good.  Handrail and structure works as per the defaults.  However, if I copy the "railing walls"...and use "paste hold position" to place the exact same rails on the lower level...well, the deck is created but the Main Level deck gets all screwed up.  The railing wall moves out beyond the edge of the deck (or maybe the deck is being reduced in size?).  The structural posts of the main level deck also disappear.  

So...can someone give me a clue how to build something like this?  Maybe I should turn off "auto deck framing"?  Or just build the deck manually?  

Thanks!

See attached pics of the "before" and "after"...

Two Story Deck Issue 1.jpg

Two Story Deck Issue 2.jpg

25 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Just make the 1st floor room a "Deck" and the 2nd floor room a "Balcony".

Joe...that did it.  I had to change the floor joists and floor finish.  Thanks much for the tip!

36 minutes ago, johnny said:

I think you need to make the lower deck a "deck" but then the upper use "railings"....something along that line.   Use the post to beam option as well for the supporting structure above.

Johnny...thanks for the "post to beam" suggestion.  That helped.

Two Story Deck - and Balcony .jpg

4 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Just make the 1st floor room a "Deck" and the 2nd floor room a "Balcony".

This is an interesting suggestion.  Suppose you made the first floor a BALCONEY and the second floor a DECK?

What is the difference?  Do the floor joists frame the same?  Take a back clip cross section and study how the floor frames.

i think you will find that the floor/deck joist frame differently and you will also notice that if the deck/balconey is lower than the main floor, the wall may frame on upper level or lower level depending on what the lower platform is defined as.....   a deck or a balcony

I am sure everybody understands this.

5 minutes ago, dshall said:

This is an interesting suggestion.  Suppose you made the first floor a BALCONEY and the second floor a DECK?

What is the difference?  Do the floor joists frame the same?  Take a back clip cross section and study how the floor frames.

i think you will find that the floor/deck joist frame differently and you will also notice that if the deck/balconey is lower than the main floor, the wall may frame on upper level or lower level depending on what the lower platform is defined as.....   a deck or a balcony

I am sure everybody understands this.

Scott,

I've been screwing around with this on and off all day...

I did what Joe suggested.  I have the balcony over the deck.  

I learned that a balcony floor is defined just like a "room" floor...so, I changed the joist to 9 1/4 treated.  For the floor finish I used the decking material.  I also had to remove the "ceiling" in the floor DBX so that I could see the joists from below.   I also had to change the material for the rim joists to treated.  It's really a clumsy solution.  

If I had my "wish"...it would be nice if the "Balcony" floor could be defined as a "DECK"...or maybe we need a new room type in Chief called a "BALCONY DECK"?

You could do a video?

Balcony over Deck 1.jpg

Balcony over Deck 1 - framing.jpg

Steve,

I am not sure what is wrong with yours, but it works for me.

When you copy your deck railings from level 1 down to level 0, do you loose the Deck room definition and does it become an Unspecified room type?

If so, you need to change it to a Deck type so that it will build the deck framing and decking.

I also note that you are using level 0 for living area and the deck.

I personally wouldn't do that (especially with a deck on level 0 - but we have all been through that argument before, so that's all I will say on that matter.