2nd Story Closet over 1st Story Staircase

Seven10

A have a complex scenario I'h hoping someone can help me rectify.  I have a small closet on the second floor of my house.  Directly underneath is the staircase that leads up to the 2nd floor.  The closet itself is only half high, with an attic access above it.  I've attached a few images for reference to help illustrate my example.

• Img 5169 - The wall directly under the closet as a user walks down the stairs
  • Img 5170 - Another angle so you can understand the slope
  • Img 5171 - What the closet looks like from the 2nd floor

I also attached my plans for reference.  I labeled the room Nook for reference.

I'd like to represent that closet correctly along with the slope of the ceiling above the stairs directly underneath.

Thanks

Dave

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

LI 1930 Colonial House.plan

Dave, I think this should work for you.  2 Polyline solid fillers in doorway, Custom 3D molding polyline for door jamb and Casing, Molding Polyline for Base and trim in doorway, Room molding polyline for Room Base board and Quarter round, Elevated room, Lowered door, Custom ceiling plane. Just a few things and no warranty. Not bad for 1930. A few more glitches here and there to be fixed yet. You will know a lot by the time you finish this one.

Here is your Plan File.:blink:

LI 1930 Colonial House Closet fix by Chop.plan

Eric, Very nice optional refinements.

2 hours ago, solver said:

Finally, and this is personal preference, keep the outside casing as part of the door, only filling in the jamb with a molding.

Please explain in more detail how this was done as it does not seem possible in X8 or 9.  I think I have read requests for this feature but can't see how it is possible.

OMG, I can't wait to get home and view this model.  I LOVE these forums!

Custom polylines are my next big thing to tackle after I get thru the baseline structure of the house.  My home has a lot of idiocraties, so its something I need to get better with.

You guys rock.

Great, Thank you Eric.  I think that was new with X8 and I forgot about it. Very helpful in this situation. That eliminates the need for the 3D molding for the door casing and jamb, as well as the Room molding polyline to compensate for the casing problem.

Dave, I was curious how you did the stairs?

Using the typical stair building/landing process as outlined in the tutorial videos.  Custom riser heights based on the actual set, but I still can't get them just right.  My house has shifted somewhat in the past 81 years.  Do you see a glaring issue?

I think you need to "regroup" and do a very close examination of your plan ... maybe in all areas.  I've only taken 2 cross-sections and one camera view and can identify major issues with the stairs as well as with the floor system support beam location.  That's all I've looked at.

STAIRS&FLOOR.BEAM.CONFLICT.JPG

STAIRS&ENTRY.DOOR&FLOOR.BEAM.CONFLICTS.JPG

• Upvote 1

Here's the last two images of your stairs problems I am going to post.  As you can see, the camera tools are very important in checking out a design and diagnosing problem areas in a plan.  I use the back-clipped camera a bunch in evaluating problem areas in the plans I prepare.  Check up on the code stairs requirements before you revise your design.

STAIRS.BASEMENT.CEILING.HEIGHT.JPG

STAIRS.MORE.PROBS.JPG

• Upvote 1