Ray tracing Error in X9 - the file works on one computer but not the second

HomesByDesign

I have x9 on two computers, ray tracing works as expected on my daytime computer but not my evening computer.  

The error reads: "An unexpected error occurred while ray tracing".  I've covered all the Knowledge Base solutions without success, could it be my Norton antivirus blocking something?  My daytime computer uses McAfee, the evening computer Norton.

Ray tracing has worked in all previous version of Chief.  I've also upgraded my NVDIA graphics card drivers and that didn't help.

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, MPDesign said:

is your evening computer a laptop? if so check it isnt set to go to sleep or standby after a specified amount of time.

It's a desktop Michael,,,sleep mode is inactive.

The error message comes up the moment I select "run",,, as if something out there is saying "go fish"...

5 minutes ago, MPDesign said:

I see you commented that it works. try and figure out what's different about the 2. graphics cards, CPU, version of windows? don't know you haven't shared enough info.

I dismissed the graphics card issue since it's worked well up till now,,,,  I know the card I have here at home is an older nvdia card and I'm not opposed to an upgrade if that's the issue but since it's works on all other version of Chief had me going in a different direction

Well it's not Norton, I just disabled Norton, tried a ray trace and get the same.   I'll have to call tech support on Monday,,,,  

To add to the error the details read (for what it's worth):

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\19.0.3\chief\source\raytrace.cpp(495): Error #272032345

"An unexpected error occurred while ray tracing."

2/4/2017 11:49:06 AM

Build: 19.0.3.50x64

hhmmm,,, I must add the specs to my signature as suggested, great idea,,,

Old machine (it was a monster when I bought it :-) ), and actually it still performs well,

2009 Gateway FX 6801 12 GB memory

intel i7 2.67 GHz - Windows 7 64 bit 

NVdia GTX 285 1 GB memory (a clunker now) - dual 24" monitors

1 TB SATA2 HDD

Let me see what else I can find out about the graphics card.... I know when I shot a ray trace to it in x8 the fans kicked in full boar!!!  :-)

42 minutes ago, HomesByDesign said:

hhmmm,,, I must add the specs to my signature as suggested, great idea,,,

Old machine (it was a monster when I bought it :-) ), and actually it still performs well,

2009 Gateway FX 6801 12 GB memory

intel i7 2.67 GHz - Windows 7 64 bit 

NVdia GTX 285 1 GB memory (a clunker now) - dual 24" monitors

1 TB SATA2 HDD

Let me see what else I can find out about the graphics card.... I know when I shot a ray trace to it in x8 the fans kicked in full boar!!!  :-)

The video card should be a non-issue when it comes to ray tracing.  Video card is used for normal render views but ray traces are ALL CPU.  In fact,  unless you've specifically limited certain cores to the task, you'll probably find that during ray tracing all cores will be running at a constant 100% on any computer.

• 2 weeks later...