Is Sketchfab as good as a walkthru video for your clients?

GeneDavis

I dipped my toe in this when I first saw the video about it by Dan Baumann of ChiefExperts.  Another member here (ACAD_user?) showed it in a thread I started about CAD details.

Here is the link to Dan's video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVdMimpRWck&t=197s

With a little practice using a mouse with wheel or similar device, one can go anywhere one wants in a model.  Into and out of rooms, all around outside, under the terrain to view the foundation, inside the kichen cabinets, simply anywhere.

And it is all under the user's control.  Up the stairs, along the galleries, look down from second floor into family room, it is simply limitless.

The free version give one up to five annotated views, and the first level up that costs $ gives one up to I think 30 views.  An annotated view is a camera you set and assign text to, such as, "Kitchen view showing sink centered under window," or "guest bedroom, queen sized bed shown with two 36" wide nightstands."

While the user can freely move the camera anywhere in the model space, the annotated view feature fixes the camera at locations you assign, so you can control what is seen that is linked to your annotation.

Isn't this as good or better than whatever other 3D viewer we have for Chief?

I have used Sketchfab a few times and one nice option is that you can embed a code into your website for the client to view. The one negative that I found tough is getting the correct lighting and adjusting materials properties...very straight forward in using. My vote is 3d viewer has better quality look in HD than Sketchfab and you don't have to go through as many steps downloading. But of course Chief does not have the ability to embed a code for a client without downloading 3d viewer. Hope fully that will come soon.

Sketchfab has been "improving" itself since Dan first wrote about it. There are now a lot more environment controls and I find it hard to adjust lighting, color, and materials, so that it looks as good as it does in Chief. I used it quite a bit in the past, but I find now that the Chief 3D Viewer is available, Chief is much easier than Sketchfab. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

I have recently tried to upload a model following the instructions in Dan Bauman's video. The model uploads and the model is displayed but no textures are shown (it's basically shade of grey). The texture files are included in the .zip file with the .3DS file. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I'm using latest version of Chief to build the .3DS file. 

The only problem I have with Sketchfab is the difficulty of navigation within the interior of the model for my clients. Before "Panorama and 3D viewer" was available from Chief.With these new tools I consider Sketchfab as unnecessary and is easier on clients who's PC skills are usually minimal.

DJP

Well I did zip the 3DS file with the textures and uploaded. Actually I have uploaded 3 models all created with the same version of Chief (9) and the same procedure. Two have uploaded and looked great. The other one uploaded and created the model but no textures. Can't figure out what is wrong. 

David I considered the panorama and 3D viewer option but was looking for something that I can just send a link to. Would be great if I could create a link to the panorama viewer with the specific file name and have it automatically view but this doesn't seem to be an available option. Using annotations in Sketchfab that go to specific room views seems to accomplish the same thing. 

On 2/3/2017 at 4:04 PM, Richard_Morrison said:

Sketchfab has been "improving" itself since Dan first wrote about it. There are now a lot more environment controls and I find it hard to adjust lighting, color, and materials, so that it looks as good as it does in Chief. I used it quite a bit in the past, but I find now that the Chief 3D Viewer is available, Chief is much easier than Sketchfab. 

Fully agree.  

I've been exploring using unreal game engine where you can send a customer a link to a file that has incredible visuals and they can walk thru the house/building like a video game.  They can turn on/off lights and use plumbing fixtures as well.  It also integrates with Halolens and Google Oculus.  Harder to learn upfront but I think its the future.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Dukefam and others:  same problem here w/Sketchfab - uploaded first which was fine but next two uploads had only grey tones and no textures.  Just tried again BUT did NOT truncate file names (option when you export from CA in .3DS).  This works ok.  Now, have to check if it works a second time.