Graphics card crashing on X9

brian-sdesign

I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro4, I5. This does not have a dedicated video card but uses the Intel HD graphics 520 which I believe is integrated. I realize this is not officially supported by Chief but it has been working perfectly on X8 and just started getting problems after moving to the X9 Beta. It only happens so far in elevation or section views. It get the notice (see the attached image) and then the sections are not view-able and I have to close Chief and restart. Hopefully this will be taken care of for the official release. I've moved several of my big projects to X9 and this is turning into a major issue.. like if it does not get fixed I will need to buy a new computer. Thats a big problem!

video card problem.pdf

All I can say is don't have the plan and layout open at the same time. uses less resources. I have always had to buy a new computer every 5 years. I can go longer by changing out parts and adding memory and the latest video card.

hoping you don't have to buy a new PC

I highly recommend i7 for anyone using Chief for work

more ram can also help

I have a Surface Por 4 but don't use it for Chief as I'm retired

I don't use it much either as I hate Win 10

one of my goals while I am snowbirding in NC is to get familiar with Win10

and to configure the Surface to work like Win7 as much as possible

not sure if more ram can be added to a Surface ?

need to research that

Lew

• 3 weeks later...

I went into my local computer store with the specs of what Chief needs and what I had. They told me, Open GL 3.3 is  processor based rather than a video card task. Processors support a given level of GL and can not be upgraded with a new video card. X9 has pretty steep requirements that 3 out of 6 of my workstations support X9, the other run X9 and I can work in plans, but no cameras.  Check your processor specs and see what level of GL they support.

1 minute ago, Dmerrick said:

They told me, Open GL 3.3 is  processor based rather than a video card task. Processors support a given level of GL and can not be upgraded with a new video card.

This is not correct.  The version of OpenGL that your computer is capable of running is dictated entirely by your video card and the drivers for that video card.

• Upvote 1