Gable on Hip Roof

ICTHOMES

My client wants a gable end on this porch roof & I can't find a tutorial or know what to search? I tried roof planes not cooperating at base, &, dormer tools not working. I want the ridges to intersect and extend out to the post w/valleys. How do I do this?

Attached in X8...I'm too scared to go X9 can't afford a hiccup right now. 

Gable-HIP Roof.JPG

Client (Final) Truss 3 (no furn).plan

Here's a third take on the subject showing how to...

1. Use the "Gable/Roof Line" tool.
  2. Set things up so this situation can be built correctly without the need for any manual modifications.
  3. Set things up in such a way that allows us to leave Auto Rebuild Roofs toggled ON.

Hope it helps someone...

EDIT:  As Steve points out below, I made a mistake when I said the Gable/Roof Line tool is new.  It is NOT.  It has been there for quite a few versions now.  The new X9 feature is that you can now control the pitch and overhang using the Gable/Roof Line tool.  In previous versions it did not work that way.  The pitch and overhang could not be set independently of the rest of the roof and could only be controlled via the Built Roof dbx. thus severely limiting the way that tool could effectively be used for auto roofs.  Sorry for any confusion. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here's a third take on the subject showing how to...

1. Use the new "Gable/Roof Line" tool
  2. Set things up so this situation can be built correctly without any manual modifications
  3. Set things up in such a way that allows us to leave Auto Rebuild Roofs toggled ON.

Hope it helps someone...

Very slick! Thanks for sharing!

11 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I have the "gable line tool" and I'm using X8...so, I don't think it's new?  Or has there been some improvement?

Screenshot 2017-02-03 21.09.58.png

My mistake, you are absolutely right.  That has been there for a very long time.  I edited my posts so as not to confuse people.  I'm obviously mixing that up with something else that is new but I'm not sure what.  I'll have to get back to you on that.  Thanks for pointing out my mistake. 

Okay, I got it.  I knew something had changed...The new feature is that you can now control the pitch and overhang using the Gable/Roof Line tool.  In previous versions it did not work that way.  The pitch and overhang could not be set independently of the rest of the roof and could only be controlled via the Built Roof dbx. thus severely limiting the way that tool could effectively be used for auto roofs.  Sorry for any confusion. 

9 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Okay, I got it.  I knew something had changed...The new feature is that you can now control the pitch and overhang using the Gable/Roof Line tool.  In previous versions it did not work that way.  The pitch and overhang could not be set independently of the rest of the roof and could only be controlled via the Built Roof dbx. thus severely limiting the way that tool could effectively be used for auto roofs.  Sorry for any confusion. 

Your the man...thanks for the update.  I saw that when you did it in the video and I said to myself..."why haven't I ever done that before..."

Thanks for all the awesome post & videos. Lots of great lessons here I hope help others and should be easier to search. Several ways in CA. 

Thanks for the heads up on walls Dave. I slapped it together fast for bidding. 

It appears X9 Gable/Roof Line is the simplest answer thanks Michael you are the man!

That last pic Solver is what I want. I think it looks good as is. Client is wanting to move front door under gable now, I don't see anywhere to move the dinning table. Any suggestions? This is not my design it's clients, I just have to solve all his issues :) Perhaps when I show Solvers rendering with all those nice looking tall windows he's happy. 

I don't see X9 install instructions in my locker, do I need to back-up my catalogs or is it automatic like my users?