What size are your plan files

cjanderson66

I am finding that my plan files are becoming very large in size.  The current project I am working on is 50mb in size.  Is this common or are other users having smaller ones.  Would love to know what size plan files you have and if I am just getting huge files because of all the notes that I have to put on my plans these days.

30-40 mb is not uncommon now.  The file size is made bigger by live views, pictures, renderings and placing fixtures with many faces and parts.  Notes will hardly change the file size.  If file reduction is important to you, change the live views to "send to layout as image".

I have had a problem with file size in x8. Not sure about x9 yet. When my files get above 50mb they start to become unwieldy and slow. I was working on a 900sf remodel recently and my plan jumped up 25mb with very little change. I was able to do some sleuthing and realized that one of the vanities from the Kohler library was the cause (all 25mb of it!!!). With another plan, I copied and pasted the file into a new "clean" plan and the file size dropped significantly and I was able to work with it again. There was no reason for it. Also, when I deleted everything out of the old file I was still left with a very large file... go figure. Long story short - I'd recommend looking for those library items that might be causing you grief and/or try coping and pasting your plan into a new file and see if one of those tricks work.

17 hours ago, HDsquared said:

I have had a problem with file size in x8. Not sure about x9 yet. When my files get above 50mb they start to become unwieldy and slow. I was working on a 900sf remodel recently and my plan jumped up 25mb with very little change. I was able to do some sleuthing and realized that one of the vanities from the Kohler library was the cause (all 25mb of it!!!). With another plan, I copied and pasted the file into a new "clean" plan and the file size dropped significantly and I was able to work with it again. There was no reason for it. Also, when I deleted everything out of the old file I was still left with a very large file... go figure. Long story short - I'd recommend looking for those library items that might be causing you grief and/or try coping and pasting your plan into a new file and see if one of those tricks work.

Thanks Suzy.  I am not sure I want to copy and paste my plan into a new plan as that would create so many problems.  I would agree that I think since I use so many Kohler and Viking products that must be the reason for the major slow down and the high file size.  :-(

17 hours ago, HDsquared said:

Thanks Suzy.  I am not sure I want to copy and paste my plan into a new plan as that would create so many problems.  I would agree that I think since I use so many Kohler and Viking products that must be the reason for the major slow down and the high file size.  :-(

2 hours ago, cjanderson66 said:

Christopher - I didn't want to copy and paste either - particularly because I had all the defaults set up just right!! I was up to around a 100 mb and it was really slowing be down. I tried to delete the multi surface items to no avail. Ultimately I did copy and paste and it brought it down to under 30mb (with the vanities!). The strange thing I saved the under a new name and then deleting everything (trying to save my default setting). The blank file was still huge! I talked to Chief but haven't had time to follow up. I read a thing on purging unused CAD blocks. I tried that but it didn't help. Perhaps it's the ghost of all the undos :) Good luck. Might be worth the try just to see what happens.