Stair Guardrail rests on top of carpet?

SNestor

Is it normal that a railing wall sit on top of the floor finish?  Attached is a picture of a guard railing that is located on the second floor.  I'm curious as to why the lowest rail (shoe) is not resting on the subfloor...but on top of the carpet.  Seems odd to me.  

Have I goofed something up? 

I'm sure you will let me know if I need to attach the plan...

Thanks all.

Landing Railing - sits on carpet 1.png

I think it's just the way Chief works:

rail.PNG

When the prior owners of my house "finished" the basement they built the stud walls over the existing floor finishes (2 layers of carpet, 1 layer of pad, 1 layer of sheet linoleum, 1 layer of glue-down asbestos tile). Just thought I'd share that.

15 minutes ago, solver said:

This setting will, I believe move it down to the subfloor.

The dialog needs to be updated so we could specify From Floor, From Finished Floor, etc.

sn.jpg

Yep...that does move the rail down to the subfloor...but, the carpet does not go away...so, the result is some "z" fighting.  I think the easiest way is to not use a bottom rail...and use a molding polyline and make my own shoe railing.  I get the look I want, it's easier to control.  See attached picture.  

The railing on the right was lowered...but the carpet does "peek" through.  The bottom rail shown on the left side was made with a few moldings attached to a molding polyline.

Thanks for all the help...much appreciated!

Landing Railing - sits on carpet 2.png

• 4 years later...

I don't know of any software that will accurately and automatically place a nosing around a stairwell opening.

Chief at least gives us this option with the stair tool, "nosing at top landing" but that's where it ends.

Maybe if there was a way to add 1 step around the perimeter of the stairwell and turn off the layer for step but still have the nosing layer on? 

I thought I could do this with the Stair Detail layer but once you turn off the Stair Layer that layer then turns off everything related to stairs.

So a simple separate layer for Stairs affecting only the nosing seems like a quick fix, but I'm not a programmer.

On 2/1/2017 at 5:28 PM, SNestor said:

subfloor...but, the carpet does not go away...

Can you make the bottom rail wide enough to extend over the opening to get rid of the carpet?

That's how I would build it anyway, with an upturned casing on the wall underneath for a skirt

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

Maybe if there was a way to add 1 step around the perimeter of the stairwell and turn off the layer for step but still have the nosing layer on? 

Perhaps an addition to the suggestion would be an option in a railing wall to have a defined trim at the floor level where we could specify a Stair nosing Trim (and apron if wanted) at the floor level where the finish flooring would go up to it???  It should be easily programmable since the wall cap molding can be an automatic.  Just place it at the base of the wall not the top of the wall.

• Upvote 1

It seems logical enough that any dialog box that allows us to add a molding should also allow vertical and horizontal offsets for those moldings. And any dialog box that allows moldings should not have a limit to the number of moldings that can be added. Then, for railings we could add as much trim as we want and save these railing wall types to our library. This would be preferable to the alternative molding polyline.

21 hours ago, robdyck said:

It seems logical enough that any dialog box that allows us to add a molding should also allow vertical and horizontal offsets for those moldings. And any dialog box that allows moldings should not have a limit to the number of moldings that can be added. Then, for railings we could add as much trim as we want and save these railing wall types to our library. This would be preferable to the alternative molding polyline.

That would make a great suggestion