Export of framing members from CA 3D model for structural sizing in BIM softwares or Weyerhaeuser Forte.

Forsythe

Wondering if this is something in the works with Chief Architect. I do a lot of structural design and framing drawing in my plan sets and would like the capability of transfering my framing models directly to sizing softwares.

Cue Lew...

Seriously though, does Weyerhaeuser Forte even have an import option?  If so, what file formats can it use.  I'm away from my computer or I would check...I think I still have it installed.   I could be thinking of a different program, but as I recall its nothing more than a 2-D calculation program.  

Don't know. I use CA not Revit so I don't know the process. Just asking the question and starting the discussion. It would just be nice not to have to manually enter spans and supports when sizing structure in another software.

I have written a program (using Ruby) that can do simple member sizing but it can't handle multiple spans, cantilever or point loads because Chief doesn't provide any "Nodes" for locating the supports or point loads.  OTOH, it does provide a good starting point to identify potential depth problems and give initial sizes - but they still need to be checked for any special conditions.

21 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I have written a program (using Ruby) that can do simple member sizing but it can't handle multiple spans, cantilever or point loads because Chief doesn't provide any "Nodes" for locating the supports or point loads.  OTOH, it does provide a good starting point to point out potential depth problems.

Hey Joe,  not sure if you've thought of this or tried it yet or not, but I use additional molding polylines and single segement polylines for this type of thing all the time.  I use the perimeter (length) of the line to get the dimension I need. If that line or polyline has an arrow on one end or the other you can even partially automate it further using the connectivity behavior.  

You can also use the height and width of additional CAD boxes as well.  

Come to think of it, this is another area area where the x and y location attributes I've requested might come in handy.  

Anyway,  just thought I'd throw those ideas out there for you just in case you hadn't thought of them.  

P.S.  I tried sending this as a PM but the personal messenger said you couldn't accept personal messages for some reason.

FTDCX7:

the bottom line is that Chief is not setup for doing BIM inter-dependence sharing

as stated check the file imports that the destination software can use

then check the export files Chief can create

don't expect miracles even if there is a match

Lew

What exactly would you be looking to size? 

I actually have a copy of Javelin by Weyerhaeuser and have been using the software for about 5 years now.

I could probably save you a lot of time by modeling your design, sizing all members and then exporting to Forte for you. I do a lot of this type of work for engineers here locally.