Methods for CAD details

GeneDavis

Here is a new thread for users to chime in and describe their methods for creating, storing, and retrieving CAD details.  

And please, Scott Hall, tell us which of your YouTube videos address this.  I like your technique of having a single plan file in which you keep all details, organizing the details using floors zero, 1, 2, 3 way up as high as needed.  Is that what you still do?  Does that file have a CAD detail for every CAD detail shown on the floors?  How do you address scaling?

This has got to be the biggest point of contention for me is CAD details.  I under the old AutoCAD used to create a detail and save it under either i.e. Fnd, Roof, Arch FlrFRam Library and import them via an XRef with an exact point of where I want it to be positioned.  I have no idea what I am doing now and starting to get into bad habits with my details in Chief.  What is the best way to create and save your details.  I do all my details in 1-1/2" scale.  Does everyone just save them each detail in the library and then place them into a Layout or do you create a plan for details and continue adding to it and then send the ones you want to a Layout.  I just can't seem to find much info on here or in any Chief video that helps in this way.

In addition, I have created a CAD detail border that I work within so when I insert it into my layout it fits within the 12 detail spaces that I have created on a detail sheet.  The problem is when I insert it, it is oversized by a fraction all the way around the detail and not  to the border.  Suggestions please!!!!

EAVE DETAIL.pdf

I have a plan file that has all my CAD details in it using a couple floor to separate the different types but I am beginning to just have them all on one floor as I don't use a lot of my own details in my plans. Anything missing is easily created using old details as a starting place.

Whenever I need a lot of details it's usually done by my engineer and I'll use his detail sheet and refer to those in a plan mark-up.

I started drawing my CAD details to scale many years ago but can't find any use for it now. I was always taught to never scale a detail and so I just draw them and send them to layout at a size that works for the current Layout. They might be close to a scale but I don't what that scale might be.

I send my details in a random fashion (no boxes) and try to get them on the relevant page. Foundation details on the foundation plan etc. instead of a single detail sheet. My jobs a re mostly pretty small so the detailing is quick and easy.

We need to get Joey Martin to chime in on this one.  I believe all the details in his plans are "live" views.  I guess he cuts sections where needed and sends that view to layout using a layerset that he has set up for sections.  I'm not really sure how he does it...but his plans look very good.

• Upvote 1

Yes. Very, very few if any drag and drop CAD details. Live backclipped cross section cameras, some notes and fills in my library to drop onto the cut, anno/layer set set up for 3/4" scale, 1/2" scale, and 3" scale to notate and send to layout.

It may take longer than drag and drop, but I don't have to drag and drop, then modify to match. There are times I have to do a little clean-up or add some CAD lines here or there, but I like this style.

details 1.png

details 2.png

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Joey, have you explored trying live 3d details yet. I haven't really got into that yet, but been thinking about it. with all the slice options we have now it might just work.

Chief doesn't fill those live sections so they look really bad. I thought that if Chief did fill those sections it could be a game changer but as they are now they just look kinda silly.

40 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

I have been know to sent 3D views to builders/clients in the past. These could be sent to layout and labeled relatively painlessly. strongbackII.jpgtray 3.jpg

Done that many times as well when going over a unique situation but never used the 'slice options" Perry mentioned.

20 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

With all the ways you can cut planes, I was thinking close up framing details like you would normally put on a detail page.

Yeah, check that pic I posted Perry. LOTS of potential but in the current state, no matter how you slice it (pun intended) not so useful IMO.

27 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I asked for the cut planes of the "Cross Section Slider" to be "solid" a couple of years ago.  Maybe if there were more official requests it might get moved up on the "to do list".

I thought it could be a game changer when I first saw the new cut plane options and still do - but solid fills are a must. Personally would be VERY surprised to see this in a new version.

I also suggested about 3-4 years ago a tool that would allow a "cube shaped boundary - defineable x,y,z dimensions" to be used to copy all the solid objects within that boundary, thus creating a new 3D set of solids.

I would call this "3D Detail from Cube"

We can make such a Detail by assembling a set of solids manually - but it would be much nicer if the software could do it automatically.