Joe's Site Area Analysis - SUPER EASY

Joe_Carrick

What Joe has done is super.  Something I have been asking CA to do since 1973.  

Michael takes a different approach and to date I am using his approach.  When I choose a method to use,  all I care about is which method is the easiest for me to implement into my plans.  I want a method that I can customize.

Joe,  I think it would be beneficial for anyone considering using your program if you can illustrate how easy it would be to modify the formulas.  I am talking about adding up the existing areas and getting a total,  adding the new areas and getting a total,  adding new areas and existing areas together and dividing by the lot area to get the FAR.  And adding the first floor areas and dividing by lot area to get the coverage.

3 hours ago, dshall said:

Joe,  I think it would be beneficial for anyone considering using your program if you can illustrate how easy it would be to modify the formulas.  I am talking about adding up the existing areas and getting a total,  adding the new areas and getting a total,  adding new areas and existing areas together and dividing by the lot area to get the FAR.  And adding the first floor areas and dividing by lot area to get the coverage.

Scott,

Most of what you ask for is already in the package. 

• Property Area
  • Buildable Area .....(inside Setbacks)
  • Setback Area .......(Property-Buildable)
  • Habitable Area .....(Total of all Floors)
  • Lot Coverage .......(Total named 1ST FLR + Garages)/Property
  • FAR ......................(Habitable/Property) ---- additional areas can be added to the FAR calc.
  • Impermeable ........(Total named 1ST FLR + Garages + Driveways + Walks + Decks + Porches + Slabs, etc.)

There are only a 4-5 macros that might need additional named areas added (1 line per macro) and that's only if you use layer names that don't follow my predefined format.

You might want to watch the video again to see what's included.

20 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Scott,

Most of what you ask for is already in the package. 

• Property Area
  • Buildable Area .....(inside Setbacks)
  • Setback Area .......(Property-Buildable)
  • Habitable Area .....(Total of all Floors)
  • Lot Coverage .......(Total named 1ST FLR + Garages)/Property
  • FAR ......................(Habitable/Property) ---- additional areas can be added to the FAR calc.
  • Impermeable ........(Total named 1ST FLR + Garages + Driveways + Walks + Decks + Porches + Slabs, etc.)

There are only a 4-5 macros that might need additional named areas added (1 line per macro) and that's only if you use layer names that don't follow my predefined format.

You might want to watch the video again to see what's included.

Joe,  I do not need to watch it again.  I saw it.  I was sharing what I would of wanted to see to determine whether the macro would work for me.  

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Scott,

I don't understand what you are asking for that I didn't show in the video.  All of those calculations were shown. 

I  suppose I was looking for an example of how you might add a new area and how you might add a different macro/calculation.  I was hoping to observe how quickly it could be done.

As I stated before.....

"Joe,  I think it would be beneficial for anyone considering using your program if you can illustrate how easy it would be to modify the formulas.  I am talking about adding up the existing areas and getting a total,  adding the new areas and getting a total,  adding new areas and existing areas together and dividing by the lot area to get the FAR.  And adding the first floor areas and dividing by lot area to get the coverage."

4 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Yes, I just need to export the Layer Set and Annoset and add a short set of instructions.  I'll send it to you tonight.

Thanks Joe, I will be adding it to my template plan, and probably just copying it to the plan

Adding a new area is simple:

1.  Create a new Polyline
  2.  Edit the layer to one of the predefined layers
  3.  Add the macro %Areas% to the Polyline Label.

The macros in the RTB will automatically respond according to the Layer Name.

• Property LineStyles and Setback LineStyles are recognized for those areas.
  • Layers containing PROPERTY and SETBACK are recognized for those areas - either will work..
  • Layers containing 1ST FLR, 2ND FLR, 3RD FLR, 4TH FLR or .1 .2 .3 .4 are considered "Habitable"
  • Layers containing GARAGE are naturally considered to be "Garages" and are a part of Lot Coverage
  • Layers containing 1ST FLR or .1 are also considered a part of Lot Coverage.
  • Layers containing DECK, WALK, DRIVEWAY, PORCH or SLAB are considered as "Impermeable" along with the Lot Coverage layers.
  • Permeable is calculated as Property - Impermeable
  • FAR is calculated as Habitable/Property

Macros included are:

• %Areas% ---------- placed in the Label of a Polyline adds the name and area to a Hash Table
  • %Areas Property%

• %Areas Setback%

• %Areas Buildable%

• %Areas, List Habitable% ---- This includes the Total

• %Areas, List Impermeable% -- This includes the Total
  • %Areas Permeable% ---------- Calculated & Displayed

• %Areas, List Lot Coverage% - This includes the Total
  • %Areas Lot Coverage% ------- Calculated & Displayed
  • %Areas FAR% ---------------- Calculated & Displayed

What did I miss?  OH, I know - if you want to use a name that doesn't conform to the above, You just have to add that layer name in one line of the macro (only 5 possible) where you want it to be included in the calculations.

Edited by Joe_Carrick

I should note here that I'm not going to demo editing any of my macros in videos.  If I do that I might as well just give them away.  A comprehensive system like this one took a lot of time to program and debug.  Instructions for how to add layer names - the only thing that needs to be done - is provided with the package.

• Upvote 1

Joe , I have looked at your site analysis package and it works great, very easy to add areas, without having to mess around with the macros. Good job. it's a lot easier to add layers rather than trying to adjust the macro, but you also make it easy to do that too.

Thanks Perry,

My approach is to provide functionality that doesn't require anyone to be a programmer.  I try to do that with all my macros, basically trying to make them "Turn Key".  It's enough for users to learn Chief, without them needing to learn to program scripts in Ruby.

Now if I can just get some paying customers. ;)

ps:  I'm going to get a new USB WiFi for my home computer.  The one I have is older technology and just doesn't have enough speed and bandwidth.  Then I'll be able to create and upload videos much easier.  The last one took about a half hour to upload.

I just checked and my Cox Wireless Modem is only 2.4 GHZ (802.11n) which matches my USB WiFi.  I think I'm going to need to upgrade both - or hard-wire between the router and my computer.  Unfortunately running the wire isn't going to be easy due to the location of the computer.  But that would obviously be the best solution.

• 4 years later...
On 2/1/2017 at 8:49 AM, dshall said:

Scott,

FWIW, I now include all of those calculations (plus a lot more) in predefined macros.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Scott,

FWIW, I now include all of those calculations (pluss a lot more) in predefined macros.

That is great Joe.  I am still surprised CA does not have that in the program.  For those newer folks out there,  both Joe and The Alaskan Son have their own methods of figuring out these values and they are a god send.  

I believe Joe uses layers and Perry loves the system.  I use Michaels' and I love his method (because I know it now).  

If any of you guys out there need this functionality,  the two guys Mentioned above are the go to guys.