Save In Library Not Working

Chopsaw

I have never had a problem saving something into the Library before but just noticed for the first time that when using "Replace All other instances of cad block with this one?" function it only temporarily saves the Library instance of the file and then reverts to the original cad block properties when the file is closed and then reopened.  Every other time I have put something into the library there is no other steps required to save it, or am I missing something?

Thanks Michael,  I thought I had it working that way in X8 and X9 but I just retested and it only worked in X9 this time but still will not save.  Give it a try with something simple, I was just trying to edit the layer.

Yes I understand Current Cad Layer but I was trying to assign a custom layer to the item before cad blocking so that when placed back into the plan and unblocked it will be on that custom layer but it keeps going back to it's default layer after I close the plan file and reopen it.  All is fine while the plan is open and the "Replace All other instances of cad block with this one?" seems to replace the library item of the same name in the library in X9. 

Okay,  I think I might understand now.  I believe that as long as the CAD block contains the same line work, if there is a CAD block with the same name already in the plan, the CAD block from the library will take on the existing CAD block properties.  So...if you open a second plan at the same time, you can place the same CAD block from the library into each of the 2 plans using the same Current CAD layer, and they can still display differently and have the line work on different layers once exploded.  If you want the new CAD block from the library to take on your new settings in the old plan, I think you'll have to first purge the old version from the plan and from CAD Block Management and then place the CAD Block from your library.  I believe this works the exact same way in both X8 and X9.  Hopefully that made sense.

Sorry, it is nothing that complicated.  I just opened a blank plan to do 1 item of library maintenance and pulled my cad block out of the library and exploded it and changed the layer and then reblocked and named it the same as the existing one in the library. Got the "Replace All other instances of cad block with this one?" message option and said yes. It changed the one in the library but will not permanently save it, ( reverts to original version when plan is closed and reopened ). I have also tried deleting the copy in the library before placing the modified one back in and get the same results.  Totally frustrated so it must be some simple brain freeze.

I guess I will be calling tech support tomorrow.  I just opened another different cad block and the first time it was on the proper layer, the next time it was on Wall Niches,Labels layer then the third time it decided to be on the Cad Default layer.