Inserting CAD details into layout page to big

capitaldesigns

I have been inserting my details into the layout page. They are coming in at least 10 time larger than the title block.

It does not matter if I drew the detail in the plan or in CAD detail management they all come into the layout page

way to large. I also tried one of CA pre-drawn details and get the same results.

Is this normal ? Is there a way to have them inserted at the right scale without having to rescale each detail

one at a time ?

Thanks,

Mike

You are drawing all of these details at "real world" scale, right? (i.e. if you put a dimension on it, it will measure the correct dimension.) When you "send" a detail to layout, whether it's coming from the plan, a CAD detail, or the library, it has to be rescaled to 1"=1'-0, or whatever scale you want the detail to be. You should not be placing details directly on the Layout; they should always be "Sent to Layout" so they are at the correct scale. It's usually easiest to do this from a CAD detail, and you can set the scale of the CAD Detail window so it's what will be sent, and it will be saved. (Under Drawing Sheet Setup) You can place a Library Detail onto a CAD Detail and then send it at the correct detail to Layout. Then you can get automatic labeling on the Layout sheet.  

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of inserting the details directly into the layout sheet. It would cut down extra steps of first inserting them into plan or detail management

then sending them to the layout sheet.  To make sure I get this correctly, if I insert the detail directly into the layout sheet then rescale to the correct size, then save it

back to the user lib. After that when I insert that detail into a layout sheet it will come in at the correct size as saved from the layout page. Is this correct ?

Thanks,

Mike

29 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of inserting the details directly into the layout sheet. It would cut down extra steps of first inserting them into plan or detail management

then sending them to the layout sheet.  To make sure I get this correctly, if I insert the detail directly into the layout sheet then rescale to the correct size, then save it

back to the user lib. After that when I insert that detail into a layout sheet it will come in at the correct size as saved from the layout page. Is this correct ?

This is certainly convenient, but is a sloppy way to do this, and makes it tough to edit the detail in the future, since you won't be dealing with actual dimensions. How are you going to remember what scale you saved it at in the library?

I am 100% in agreement with Richard.  Chief even has a Template "CAD Block Template" specifically designed for Details at 1"=1'.  I've personally prefer 1/2"=1' for most details.

IAE, after creating a detail on "Level 1", I copy/paste it to a new CAD Detail Window which I name with the title I want.  Most of my details are pre-sent to Layout from these "Detail Plan Files"  Then if I modify a Detail it is automatically updated in all Layouts.  Also, when the Layout is opened, it provides a way to directly accessing the Detail for editing just by double clicking on the Layout Box.

• Upvote 1

it's saved at no scale, not so sloppy and I can change them any time. I have thousands of cad details I brought with me when I first started Chief ,and I'm not about to re-draw all of those so it worked out good for me. Scaling is not an issue for me b/c I don't want anyone scaling the details, always dimension if it needs it.

• Upvote 1

I know what you mean when it comes to converting AutoCAD details to CA details. I spent a day and a half converting 22 details I drew in AutoCAD to CA details.

CA does not give to many tools to help make this process easier and quicker. I have 4 more details I have to covert tonight and several hundred to go.

Does anyone know why CA will not incorporate some of the CAD tools AutoCAD has in its program ? I just found out today from tech. support that you can

stretch the building but you can not stretch a CAD detail. So if I had a partial wall section and needed to stretch it up to make it a 10'-0" wall from an 8'-0"

high wall I can not to that according to tech. support. AutoCAD has had the stretch command since the 80s. Its a very handy tool and I use it all the time

in AutoCAD. You would think this would be much easier to program stretching a wall section detail v. stretching the entire building.

Thanks,

Mike

15 hours ago, capitaldesigns said:

I just found out today from tech. support that you can

stretch the building but you can not stretch a CAD detail. So if I had a partial wall section and needed to stretch it up to make it a 10'-0" wall from an 8'-0"

high wall I can not to that according to tech. support.

I could be misunderstanding something here, but you can use Edit Area (Control + H) in many circumstances to "stretch" CAD work.

This has got to be the biggest point of contention for me is CAD details.  I under the old AutoCAD used to create a detail and save it under either i.e. Fnd, Roof, Arch FlrFRam Library and import them via an XRef with an exact point of where I want it to be positioned.  I have no idea what I am doing now and starting to get into bad habits with my details in Chief.  What is the best way to create and save your details.  I do all my details in 1-1/2" scale.  Does everyone just save them each detail in the library and then place them into a Layout or do you create a plan for details and continue adding to it and then send the ones you want to a Layout.  I just can't seem to find much info on here or in any Chief video that helps in this way.

In addition, I have created a CAD detail border that I work within so when I insert it into my layout it fits within the 12 detail spaces that I have created on a detail sheet.  The problem is when I insert it, it is oversized by a fraction all the way around the detail and not  to the border.  Suggestions please!!!!

EAVE DETAIL.pdf