Trashbin pullouts in cabs - why not an option like a lazy susan?

GeneDavis

A susan is an accessory product installed in a cabinet, much like a trashbin slide.

We get a susan to show in planview and the cab callout includes it.  Why not the same treatment for the trashbin slide?  What is different?

While it is nice that people have done the work of modeling trashbin slides in 3D and they can be placed inside cabinets, it seems a little gimmicky to me.  My plans all show closed cabinets on the con docs.  And if we must have 3D trashbin slides, then what about breadboxes, nesting drawers, spiceracks, vertical dividers, and all the other types of inside-the-box accessories?

2017-01-30_0953.png

50 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

And if we must have 3D trashbin slides, then what about breadboxes, nesting drawers, spiceracks, vertical dividers, and all the other types of inside-the-box accessories?

Gene-trash bin pullouts-we keep cabinets in the library with the correct order code for the most used of those that we have.

NOTE that the code for those varies by brand AND that most brands offer several choices per catalog (brand for order I'm writing now has 4 in catalog and we use two not there, another brand has 5 for framed construction and 4 more for frameless).

I never show them in plan, and until X9 I've never bothered to place a trash pullout into a cabinet. I only made the one I posted since I needed to show it open in 3D for an ADA kitchen.

Almost all other interior accessories are line items on orders-when they are not the same issues of labels per brand as trash come into play.

We list them as modifications placing the codes code field of OIP (used to be a headache in the components list) and in many cases something descriptive in the comments section. Again for many of the most common configurations we keep them in the library and use "replace from". I keep between 1 and 2 dozen cabinets in a brand folder in the user library. 

FWIW should someone give me a set of plans with just cabinet, accessory or modification codes and no ocmments AND the codes do not match brands that I carry (have in the past) those codes are useless.

I've been working on learning Ruby to write a label macro for each of my brands that addresses the any "simple" cabinet configuration changes. (with a big thanks to  Gerry T and a bit of discussion with Joe C who is trying to write something more comprehensive)

The goal is that once done it someone could change it to suit another brand relatively easily without learning Ruby.

For the modification codes we've worked out a system to drag and drop the codes from a separate document into the OIP field. Again per brand (each brand uses different codes and can number to 200 once all accessories are accounted for)

Once this is all done, likely after final release, I'll post something into the tips section. I even think I'll break down and do a video (watch out for flying pigs:)

Mark, thanks for the remarks.

My con docs are a little different in that some are for a couple builders (and me) that do not buy branded cabinets.  We've integrated cabinet building into our program and use eCabinets software for aiding the building and all the buying.  Cabs come to the jobsites as a batch of ready-to-assemble parts, and the accessories such as pullouts, susans, and more all come in their manufacturer cartons.  We use a lot of Rev-A-Shelf and Hafele stuff.

Thus the drawings, the 1/2" scale plans and elevation views, are an important guide for the placement of the accessory parts.

I still think that if Chief can give us the susan option for corner cabs, and show the susan in planview and a code in the callout, that Chief should do the same for a trashbin-slide base.

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I still think that if Chief can give us the susan option for corner cabs, and show the susan in planview and a code in the callout, that Chief should do the same for a trashbin-slide base.

Then someone wants the sink base, the microwave base, the cute woven baskets, for the brand they have....Hey, I've been dealing with these issues since I switched to CA from 2020.

I know Joe C is trying to write some sort of universal covers anything macro for cabinet labels. He handles Conestoga RTA cabinets so that may work out for you...or when I post mine you can adapt it.

Sounds like what you supply is a lot like what I need to supply. Mine are not just for ordering, they are critical to installation even though I don't do RTA. Instead I'm telling the cabinet brand what I want, often specifying RAS/Hafele instead of what is listed in the catalog. They are also important for the customer who does not understand anyone's CODES,  we supply a second floor plan with comments in plain English.

On 1/30/2017 at 1:54 PM, GeneDavis said:

that Chief should do the same for a trashbin-slide base.

I had a thought so tried defining trash pullout as an appliance in the hopes I could get the label to read it. It only works if it is the full height of a cabinet in which case it becomes the automatic label. Add a drawer to the cabinet and the automatic label reverts.CA does not provide any other way to access the information.

So here is what I was able to come up with that works (and what doesn't)

First two show the problem.

The second two each use a different macro that collects info from the OIP. (which is why we place them in the library). This is NOT a preview of the macro I'm working on but the macro does include a way to add to the label reading from the OIP for very specific things.

In this case you would change the code to whatever you use (RAS has roughly 125 different trash codes not counting mountings and lids making that up to you), change the comment to what you need as well -double trash, rev-a-motion, ...You can grab the macros out of the plan.