How to address privacy issues on the design

Francois

I have submitted a 2nd story addition but the city Bldg Department has concerns about privacy to side and rear neighbors. Also, rapid growth trees will be planted. I am reluctant to use no-see-trough window glass.

I must draw a line of sight from the proposed 2nd floor windows.  Is there angles and projections to take in consideration? How do you address it? Can you share you method?

Thank you

We have certain criteria here when designing accessory dwellings and how they may be oriented in relationship to adjacent properties but the features that are reviewed are generally upper floor decks and the like.

Can't think of a situation where window location would come into question but in a largev municipality I guess that may be an issue.

I get this a lot ,and if you keep your windows high, like a 6020, 24" being the maximum depth, it usually works here and we don't have to do the study.  High windows will work but it puts a clamp on your design most of the time. This ,of course, does not work for egress windows in a bedroom, so when designing,  you have to keep this code in your mind. Most homes here are 10' apart and, that's why.

14 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I guess my question is is it a "concern" or is it a code? The "concerns" of the departments I deal mean very little unless they can reference a specific code to me. Sometimes pushing back a little keeps things moving.

It is not a code issue but more a planning concern like Richard mentioned. I do not disagree with it. The properties are typically close to each other. 

My quest is about ways of addressing their comments. So far I have re-sized the side windows as Perry suggested and I am showing the trees as they are placed on the property, their height, in relationship to the adjacent properties and a elevation showing the height of the proposed trees to be planted along the back of the property relative to the 2nd floor windows which are egress.

I think it's a good answer to satisfy the "line of sight" request . They won't see Russia but they will see a lot of green. :D

Thanks to all for your feed back. I greatly appreciate it.

Do people who live in houses with zero to five foot setbacks actually expect to find some kind of privacy?

I lived on a ten acre lot that backed up to over 44,000 acres of state land... and I still had my neighbor calling me to ask what I was working on in my backyard.

Was it Davy Crocket who said he felt crowded by his neighbors when he could see the smoke from their chimney?

IMG_0843.PNG