joist floor to stemwalls with slab on grade

DBearss

Late in the game and we have decided to convert a joist floor system on stemwalls over a crawlspace to stemwalls with an insulated slab on grade. Going to keep me busy a bit this weekend. Here in Oregon we typically run the top of slab flush with top of stemwall similar to the garage room. Am looking for the best steps to take to revise this efficiently. The Garage room does this correctly but am not liking the idea of manually changing each room. I went in to defaults for floor 0 and set floor to be flush with top of stemwall and then the stemwalls disappear. about to give up and draw everything manually.

capture-20170127-185452.png

capture-20170127-163608.png

Not quit sure what is going on when I opened the section view for the Master Bedroom the stem walls were there but for some reason the floor is 11 11/16" lower, and then the stem walls disappeared on me. I am not sure that I did any thing that would have caused that.  You might need someone with a little more experience with monoslabs to take a look.

I just changed the foundation wall type to 8" Concrete Stem Wall and opened the Room Specification DBX for the basement under the structure tab and changed G from 11 11/16" to 0".  If you would like me to show you check your PM or I can return the plan file.

For many years now when you place a mono slab next to a stem wall, the stem wall will lower itself to the slab level, this has been a bug for many years now and IMO should be fixed. I have put in many bug requests.

To fix this , you need to draw your slab manually and place a small scoop footing next to the stem wall, main layer to main layer. The stem wall will go back up to the correct level.

20 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

For many years now when you place a mono slab next to a stem wall, the stem wall will lower itself to the slab level, this has been a bug for many years now and IMO should be fixed. I have put in many bug requests.

To fix this , you need to draw your slab manually and place a small scoop footing next to the stem wall, main layer to main layer. The stem wall will go back up to the correct level.

This work around does not bother me....  I think in the real world you will have a SCOOP/SHOVEL FOOTING anyway.  

13 minutes ago, dshall said:

This work around does not bother me....  I think in the real world you will have a SCOOP/SHOVEL FOOTING anyway.  

The problem is that not everyone knows this( not in the manual) and could spend days trying to figure it out. Unless, of course, they follow your YouTube channel. 

20 minutes ago, DBearss said:

Thats a new one for me. What is a scoop / shovel footing?

Also here in Oregon the energy code requires slab edge to be insulated so placing on footing becomes problematic.

A scoop footing is just a thickness, like a footing but smaller. I usually make mine 8" x 8" deep. Enough to allow some connection rebar's to connect good, and have the required edge distance. Here, slab edge insulation is required also but nobody does it. If you use a computer method for your energy calculation's , you can eliminate the slab edge insulation by tradeing off and making it better in other areas. Not sure how it is in Oregon.

Hey guys,Have been swamped and just getting back to this. Watched the videos and for me they were helpful in the way that it is clear that sometimes a manual work around may be the way to go. Tanks for the effort putting these together. Great to have the support here. BTW the original Scottish correct spelling was Bearse and it got "corrected" during immigration.