Why not expected behavior on a post and beam wall?

GeneDavis

I'm experimenting with X8, doing a post and beam screened porch room.  I've a 3-1/2" railing wall, set to have a full post (not half post) at its end where it abuts a siding wall.

Am I missing something?  Is there no way to do this?  The setting for the post at this junction seems to permit either "no half post at wall" or "square half post."  In the image shown here, I drew three boxes to show where I want posts.  The one at the wall junction abuts the sheathing layer, not the main framing layer, which is the way we build.  I edited the wall junction to be at the sheathing layer.

Checking either one of the half post boxes does not seem to affect my wall post at the junction.  Having edited the wall juncton has no effect on the post location.  All I get is a half-post butted to the framing layer.  

2017-01-27_1130.png

An

14 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

you can always just put your posts in using the post tool, set the newels to zero.

And that's what I did, Perry.  Thanks.  A hidden gem of knowledge from a pro.

The railing wall gives me both the top beam and the mid- and shoe rails I want, plus being a wall, it can contain the door I need.  My plan views and elevations look as I want, and I get doors shown properly with hardware and swing indicators.  They appear on the door schedule.

I'm in business.

6 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

An

And that's what I did, Perry.  Thanks.  A hidden gem of knowledge from a pro.

The railing wall gives me both the top beam and the mid- and shoe rails I want, plus being a wall, it can contain the door I need.  My plan views and elevations look as I want, and I get doors shown properly with hardware and swing indicators.  They appear on the door schedule.

I'm in business.

Gene,

What is the Wall Type.  The outside of the Newels should align with the position of the "Main Layer" of the Wall Type.

Here are screencaps from a test model.  I did a rectangular set of walls using out-of-box "siding 6" and out-of-box deck railing wall at 3.5" thick.

The walls of the deck are specified as post to beam, newels 3.5" square, boxes unchecked so there is a halfpost at wall.

I tried using the edit-wall-intersection tool to see if it moved the halfpost position.  As can be seen, there is no effect on the position of the halfpost newel.  I drew a cross box the size of a half-newel for reference and placed it where seen.  Chief sticks the half-newel to the outside of the wall.

That placement, to outside of wall, is fine and matches what we do when building, for interior walls.  Outside, though, we prefer to build posts and newels to the sheathing layer, and cut siding finish to the post surface.

2017-01-28_1539.png

2017-01-28_1543.png

2017-01-28_1544.png