Line weights in general

SNestor

I'm wondering how you guys determine proper line weights.  Do you send to Layout with line weights "on"?  Does this really matter?

In the wall DBX you can set the line weights for each layer in a wall.  Do these line weights become the line weight for "all views"...such as "plan view" and "section views"?  I'm thinking I'd would like to have different weights for these views?  Yes?

Anyway...I'm experimenting with line weights and just thought I'd reach out to find out if there is a good "system" that I might follow.  Thanks all.

Line weights are layer set or object dependent, there fore I think you are missing the option of being layerset dependent which determines the use of different line weights for different views of differing layersets. So if you are viewing "section set" for both plan and elevation views, then that is the only case where objects(walls, windows ...what ever) will show the same line weights! Otherwise you can set different line weights for each view in the layer set settings. Located at the bottom were you can change line weights, colour and even line types for each view independently.

Note that there are 3 layers that can control the line_weight of walls:

• Walls, Exterior - only effective when Walls, Layers is not displayed.
  • Walls, Interior  - only effective when Walls, Layers is not displayed.
  • Walls, Layers  - uses the line_weights assigned in the Wall Type Definition.

3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

In that picture, I have the BY LAYER boxes checked. That means that the line weight controlled by the layer would be the MAIN LAYER line weight, which you have at 10. With the box checked, all the other line weights will be as you have assigned, except the main layer.

Lw.png

Seems to me that I should be controlling the "main layer" line weight by layer set.  What happens to the line weights of the other layers...they are the same no matter what layer set you use?  When setting up these weights...would it be wise to experiment to make sure section cut through walls appear  correctly?

Also...when sending a view to layout, do you always turn line weights on before sending the view to layout?  Does this make a difference to the layout view?

Thanks for all the help guys.  I'm sure this is basic stuff to you guru's.