Cabinet Moulding?

Larry_Sweeney

I have a wall cabinet hanging from the ceiling with glass doors on front and back and is exposed on all four sides. I attempted to add a cornice molding, but it is only on the sides and the front. Am I missing something or do I have to install the cornice on this cabinet manually because this is a "flaw" in CA? As always I appreciate your time taken in answering my questions.

2 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

I have a wall cabinet hanging from the ceiling with glass doors on front and back and is exposed on all four sides. I attempted to add a cornice molding, but it is only on the sides and the front. Am I missing something or do I have to install the cornice on this cabinet manually because this is a "flaw" in CA? As always I appreciate your time taken in answering my questions.

I've never heard anybody use the term cornice molding with cabinets before.  I assume you're referring to what we would usually call crown or cove molding around these parts.  Is that common on the East Coast?

Anyway, I'm not sure what your problem is without seeing the plan, but if I understand correctly, it is working just fine for me as well.  Only thing I can guess is that perhaps the cabinet is backed up against some kind of interior wall...maybe where you have an opening? 

Michael...............I thought that the/a cornice (or cornice molding) was a series of moldings  put together for a certain look, whereas a crown or cove was just a particular type of molding that could be part of the cornice.

To All........After reading your advice I realized that my cabinets were not up against an invisible wall or room divider, but the back of the cabinet did line up with a half wall used to support a bar height countertop. This half wall was causing my problem. I don't know if CA would call this a bug, but to me it is. Thank you to all for your advice. Have a great day.

24 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Michael...............I thought that the/a cornice (or cornice molding) was a series of moldings  put together for a certain look, whereas a crown or cove was just a particular type of molding that could be part of the cornice.

To All........After reading your advice I realized that my cabinets were not up against an invisible wall or room divider, but the back of the cabinet did line up with a half wall used to support a bar height countertop. This half wall was causing my problem. I don't know if CA would call this a bug, but to me it is. Thank you to all for your advice. Have a great day.

Larry,

Make the Half Wall "No Room Definition".   That should eliminate the problem of no Crown Molding on the back of the Cabinet.

As far as the difference between Crown and Cornice ......  In Chief it really doesn't matter.  You can combine several moldings on a Cabinet or you can combine several moldings to create a new molding profile.

Joe............I've been doing a little experimenting with this problem. First I moved the half wall, which was lined up with the back of the cabinet, out of the room. Then I applied the molding to the top of the cabinet, which went all the way around as it should. I then moved the half wall back to it's correct position and the molding stayed. ----------- interesting.