Show Brick Ledge in Plan View

BKEn10c

Hi All!

I am doing my first project in Chief, after 25 years almost exclusively with Autodesk (ACAD & REVIT). I am using x9 beta, through the monthly rental program. I have searched the forums, and I cannot find out how to get Chief to show the brick ledge in the foundation wall. It looks right in 3d. (see attached.) I am sure that I am missing something. Thanks!

Foundation-FloorPlan.PNG

Foundation-3d.PNG

3 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

change the material to brick and adjust the "Brick ledge depth" in the wall DBX to what you want.

Thanks! My brick ledge is where I want it for now. 8". The 'pony wall' above has the brick extending down 8", therefore it looks good in elevation & section. I guess I just neeed to figure out how to change the material of the ledge. I will work in it some more. Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Is the foundation wall a "pony wall"?  If so...then will you also need a "veneer" sitting on the brick ledge...such as brick or stone?  This needs to be defined in the. foundation pony wall.  

Take a look at my attached plan...the foundation is a pony wall.  Hope it helps.

Foundation Pony Wall.plan

Foundation with brick ledge - Floor View.png

Foundation with brick ledge - Plan View.png

Thanks SNestor! I was starting to experiment with that. So, in your cross section, even when you 'auto detail', you have an undesirable horizontal line where the pony wall from the foundation meets the veneer from the first floor framing wall. May I ask: How do you handle that? Thanks again!

You can adjust the "fills" that auto detail places in the wall. sections so that the line is hidden.  Or use a CAD BLOCK from the library.  I've attached the plan again...detailed.  Open the section and you will see what I did.

Foundation Pony Wall.plan

Foundation Wall - Auto Detail.png

One more thing.  You could also create a CAD DETAIL FROM VIEW.  Then get the cad block...or edit however you wish.  Of course it wouldn't be "live".

Beware adjusting anything in cad will not show in 3d. I never use a cad detail for sections or adjust anything there.. There are several ways to do what you want in 3d, it would probably be best to adjust the brick ledge depth, that is new for X9 ( it was there, just didn't work for stem walls) and the simplest way in my view for 3d if you want that. Try to have everything live, it's just better.

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Beware adjusting anything in cad will not show in 3d. I never use a cad detail for sections or adjust anything there.. There are several ways to do what you want in 3d, it would probably be best to adjust the brick ledge depth, that is new for X9 ( it was there, just didn't work for stem walls) and the simplest way in my view for 3d if you want that. Try to have everything live, it's just better.

I agree - it is definitely best to have everything live/accurate in 3D. As soon as you start 'fixing' things in 2d CAD, your chance for errors, and the need for redundant work increases. This goes back to my original post: if my wall looks / works correctly in 3D, it seems that I should be able to have a foundation plan that accurately conveys the brick ledge. 

It sounds like I need to make a brick ledge deeper than 8" to show up properly on the foundation plan? If that is so - I have lost accuracy in my 3D model. 

I don't have X9 yet, but X8 and some earlier versions require the use of the pony wall feature to do a brick ledge in a stemwall foundation.  See the pic, attached, clipped from the Help in Chief.

When displaying pony walls in 2D planview, X8 and earlier give us the option of showing either the upper wall or the lower, but not both.  You want both, and you want the ledge face shown as a dashed line.  You cannot have both, but you can get what you want by controlling how the upper wall displays in plan view.

Look carefully at the snips, attached.  Your wall definition for your upper part (the ledge part) of your pony-wall stemwall will need to be edited to get the 2D display you want.  I did the example to show a dashed line at the ledge face (line weight 18) and heavy lines (35 weight) at the inside and outside faces of the stemwalls.  I changed the fill of the brick layer to be concrete.  You'll want to change the fill of the air gap (drainage gap) to be concrete, also.  Fiddle with it until you get what you want.

And of course, check so that you are displaying the upper part of the pony wall in planview.

For stepped brickledges as for a house built on a downslope lot, you can go to elevation views of foundation walls and edit the height break where the ledge is to be.

2017-01-25_0744.png

2017-01-25_0812.png

2017-01-25_0813.png

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I don't have X9 yet, but X8 and some earlier versions require the use of the pony wall feature to do a brick ledge in a stemwall foundation.  See the pic, attached, clipped from the Help in Chief.

When displaying pony walls in 2D planview, X8 and earlier give us the option of showing either the upper wall or the lower, but not both.  You want both, and you want the ledge face shown as a dashed line.  You cannot have both, but you can get what you want by controlling how the upper wall displays in plan view.

Look carefully at the snips, attached.  Your wall definition for your upper part (the ledge part) of your pony-wall stemwall will need to be edited to get the 2D display you want.  I did the example to show a dashed line at the ledge face (line weight 18) and heavy lines (35 weight) at the inside and outside faces of the stemwalls.  I changed the fill of the brick layer to be concrete.  You'll want to change the fill of the air gap (drainage gap) to be concrete, also.  Fiddle with it until you get what you want.

And of course, check so that you are displaying the upper part of the pony wall in planview.

For stepped brickledges as for a house built on a downslope lot, you can go to elevation views of foundation walls and edit the height break where the ledge is to be.

2017-01-25_0744.png

2017-01-25_0812.png

2017-01-25_0813.png

Thank you Gene Davis, for a thorough explanation along with the fine screen shots. I will implement this today. 

When I was researching CA, (after many years with REVIT - which I am still tied to because of 100's of completed projects)  it was the active user forum that made me willing to venture into this new software. What a great community here! Thanks again

50 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

2017-01-25_0744.png

2017-01-25_0812.png

2017-01-25_0813.png

Gene,

One thing to be aware of is that Chief no longer requires a pony wall to do this.  This brick ledge can be automatic for for stemwall foundations now. 

20 hours ago, BKEn10c said:

Hi All!

I am doing my first project in Chief, after 25 years almost exclusively with Autodesk (ACAD & REVIT). I am using x9 beta, through the monthly rental program. I have searched the forums, and I cannot find out how to get Chief to show the brick ledge in the foundation wall. It looks right in 3d. (see attached.) I am sure that I am missing something. Thanks!

Foundation-FloorPlan.PNG

Foundation-3d.PNG

20 hours ago, Kenoeightspot said:

You need to add a cad line to represent the brick ledge.

BRICK LEDGE.PNG

15 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Beware adjusting anything in cad will not show in 3d.

If it's the extra line in plan view that you're after, consider just giving your foundation walls 2 main layers...

Plan.pngElevation.jpg3D.jpg

All live and auto except for the Auto Detail fills in the elevation view. There are 2 wall fills automatically generated due to the 2 main layers.  I just selected them both and clicked polyline union.  

• 1 year later...

CA X10

Sooo... this is my situation.  I'm using a stucco and sometimes stone wall on the exterior with a monolithic slab for a foundation.  The "outside" floor around the pool is lowered 3" revealing the concrete foundation.  I know I could use stucco as the material for the foundation but then I'd have stucco underneath where the stone is.  And the walls protrude over the foundation by an 1" or 2, which in real life I believe the stucco would continue down to meet the "outside" floor.  Do I need to incorporate the same pony wall techniques?

Thank you,

Lisa

Foundation meets walls.jpg

Foundation meets walls 2.jpg

Tuscan Courtyard 2 for posting.plan