Any general challenges using chief for small church projects?

Clemsongrad

From what I am seeing using chief I don't see any particular deficits, but I'd like to learn work arounds before I'm in the midst of a project.

I may have several coming up this year and would like to acquire assets and skills to be ready ahead of time.

Thanks!

Larry

As with all commercial work in CA:

As far as I know it's impossible to properly represent a common steel door and steel frame in a (for example) 12 CMU wall. I have not found a workaround. 

Suspended ceilings take an Eternity, and you need to 'pray' they don't change.

Depending on construction type, you won't have much issue. I did a 12,000 sqft church with Chief...2"x6" construction with brick/stone/siding veneer, truss roof system...no issues. As others have said, the steel framed doors can be an issue, but nothing that can't be easily overcome with details and use of the schedules.

I also did a 4,000 sqft fellowship hall...again no issues other than the steel doors. CMU/Frame construction, truss roof system, slab foundation.

1 hour ago, Griffin said:

...As far as I know it's impossible to properly represent a common steel door and steel frame in a (for example) 12 CMU wall. I have not found a workaround...

Try using a doorway (no casing or frame...just a hole in the wall) and a symbol for the door and jamb.  

I'm sure it's not exactly what you would want to see but here's a very quick and rough example.  It doesn't actually have the door panel because I just grabbed the first symbol I found and it didn't have a door.  You should be able to get the idea though.

plan.jpg3D.jpg

You would just have to find or make the appropriate symbols and add them to your library.  Biggest limitation is that you would probably have to choose whether or not the door was shown open or closed (or it would require 2 different symbols on different layers if you wanted to toggle between the views).

• Upvote 1