Assertion Failed, Crash At Startup

Naesstrom

So I was silly enough to update my Chief Architect to the latest version (16.3.0.59) today on my PC and suddenly I start getting a error message every time I try to start it:

fKksWlr.png

Pressing Ignore just leaves the process running but the program never starts, Abort shuts it down.

The Details screen gives me:

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\16.3\chief\source\ChiefQtApplication.cpp(169): Error #272000999
" Assertion failed:  An unexpected error occurred. You should use "Save As" to save your current work in a NEW FILE and restart this program."
6/17/2014 3:34:42 PM
Build: 16.3.0.59x64

I've tried searching for the code but couldn't find anything useful. I even did a complete uninstall and reinstalled the latest version but I always get the same error... Anyone else getting the same issue?

(running on win8)

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting the same error also.I don't even have that directory on my PCU I am getting it when exporting a model to several different options, dwg, dae, 3ds, stl, ect.

Windows 7 professional

16 gigs mem

"I am getting the same error also.I don't even have that directory on my PCU I am getting it when exporting a model to several different options, dwg, dae, 3ds, stl, ect."

That may be the same generic error message but that is definitely not the same problem.  A crash when launching the program is probably an install or system problem.  A crash exporting a model is probably a problem with the model.  Post your plan and see if someone else has the same problem.  Or start deleting things from the model until it doesn't crash showing you where the problem is.  Or contact tech support.

• 2 years later...
On 6/17/2014 at 6:18 PM, Naesstrom said:
So I was silly enough to update my Chief Architect to the latest version (16.3.0.59) today on my PC and suddenly I start getting a error message every time I try to start it:

fKksWlr.png

Pressing Ignore just leaves the process running but the program never starts, Abort shuts it down.

The Details screen gives me:

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\16.3\chief\source\ChiefQtApplication.cpp(169): Error #272000999

" Assertion failed:  An unexpected error occurred. You should use "Save As" to save your current work in a NEW FILE and restart this program."

6/17/2014 3:34:42 PM

Build: 16.3.0.59x64

I've tried searching for the code but couldn't find anything useful. I even did a complete uninstall and reinstalled the latest version but I always get the same error... Anyone else getting the same issue?

(running on win8)

Hi,

I've had the same "Assertion failed" and since I was not able to find any solution, I thought posting mine - maybe it helps someone.

What caused the error: I was running low on disk space on the system partition, and I suppose that when I closed chief architech some files were corrupted.

What I've tried:

-first I tried the "repair" option , restarted, same issue

-uninstalled and manually removed all registry references to the program (because just uninstalling leaves a lot of debris behind) ; restart laptop / then re-install; still no luck

-tried to search over internet for a solution with no clear or final answer;

-did a backup of my "Chief Architect Premier X6 Data" from c:\Users\your_user_folder_name\Documents\  ; take special care to backup your "Archives" sub-folder

-removed the whole "Chief Architect Premier X6 Data" and started again the program with no error this time.

-recovered the subfolders in "Chief Architect Premier X6 Data" , one by one, and restarted each time the program to see what was causing the error

In the end I found out that the file "c:\Users\your_folder\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X6 Data\Toolbars\libraryItems.tbdata" was the corrupted one.

You don't have to follow all my steps, and can safely remove the mentioned file  (you can create back it up before if you really want) as it will be auto-re-created when you close the program. 

So the short solution should be: remove "c:\Users\your_folder\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X6 Data\Toolbars\libraryItems.tbdata" file, and restart chief architect.