Cabinets in doorways

C2Claire

Why can't I place a cabinet in a doorway? I understand that typically you wouldn't do that with a standard doorway (36" wide) but we often open up walls from 1 room to another that are 8-9 feet wide. Working on a project right now that I can't figure out how this should be done or will the software just not let me do it? Do I not specify it as a doorway but a different type of wall? Should I just do a short interior wall on either end instead? I think I tried that before on another project but gave up and the design changed to not include the need for it. I've been working with Chief Architect only 6 months, so maybe I'm missing something obvious?

• Downvote 1

• 6 months later...

I was having this problem and this is the only thread I found about it. The cabinet runs perpendicular to the wall opening and the end disappears on the plan no matter how I place it. On 3d the cabinet shows but countertop is missing. Add a custom top and both plan and 3d look correct.

Liz

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, lizdion said:

I was having this problem and this is the only thread I found about it. The cabinet runs perpendicular to the wall opening and the end disappears on the plan no matter how I place it. On 3d the cabinet shows but countertop is missing. Add a custom top and both plan and 3d look correct.

Liz

Very frustrating.....  I should be able to have a cabinet go through a doorway.

Two pics,  one showing it does not work,  the other pic showing it will work.....  to make it work,.  cut out offending wall,   and then paste back in original  position..... 

5984c13399902_ScreenShot2017-08-04at11_45_04AM.thumb.png.649808c008a143b6ce177bcf46d607c2.png

5984c134771eb_ScreenShot2017-08-04at11_45_32AM.thumb.png.dcb35990f6b1ed5acd6c89c9d5493ae1.png

• Upvote 1

It works for the cabinet in the 3d but the countertop is lost. I put a custom counter over it and that made it work in plan and 3d. Seems like we could do it without a workaround a few versions ago. 

Liz