I Keep Losing Work...Arghh...

HumbleChief

Talked to tech and didn't find out much new but the hitting cntrl 'S' twice is probably not an issue. It might take windows the second time before it shows up in the file manager, something about a windows cache.

The biggest problem is still ending up with an older auto-save_bak file instead of an updated auto_save file after Chief crashes.

• 2 weeks later...

So with my crashes I've had 2 different behaviors when reopening the file after the crash.  Reminder that I am not getting an option to ignore and save like normal crashes so I am totally reliant on the last time I saved and the auto save file which I have set to every 3 minutes.

In both cases, there is a newer auto save file then the original save, but I am NOT prompted that there is a newer file or archive and therefore the original file is opened from when I originally opened the file...meaning if I started working on it an hour or 4 hours ago, that is the file that opens.  I learned the hard way that if I leave it open longer then my auto save settings then that will create a new file over the more recent archive (depending on settings).  Not good.

In one case I found a very recent auto save file and simply brought it forward and was on my way.  But again, no notice that there was a more recent file.

In another case, there was an auto save file newer then the original opening file, but it was 25 minutes old vs the 3 minute auto save setting i have.  Not good.  Fortunately i had saved recently and so I had a current file.

Any way, i can't find any consistency and the crash is not reproducible.  If this keeps happening, i'll have to go back to X8 on projects that I haven't already saved to X9.  I realize this is beta, so that's on me, but hopefully this is addressed in the official non-beta release.

Hope this helps someone or chief (I did report, but they couldn't do much since I can't consistently reproduce it).

One quick note about the Auto Save feature, this feature doesn't save your work like google docs would, where it's a true save of the original file. The autosave file is only kept around if there is a Chief Architect generated error message. If there is a hard program crash the autosave may never have the chance to be written to disk.

I would recommend changing your auto archive interval to hourly rather than previous save unless you are in the habit of manually saving often.

Also, I see that you are working from a Dropbox location. Do you see any different behavior if you work from another location that isn't being accessed by the dropbox application continuously?

Kirk,

I had the same thought and changed to hourly archive to try something new to see if it would trigger a different result and will see how that goes.

I had similar behaviour as posted by others where the autosave only showed up after hitting save twice.  I waited longer then the save time frame to see if it would do it on it's own, and no file showed up after 10 minutes of working (2 minute auto save interval in settings).  Hit save once, still nothing.  As soon as I hit save the second time, the auto save showed up and started functioning as expected on the time frames i had in settings, but would not function at all until I hit save twice no matter how long i waited.  I will begin doing that the second I open projects now and monitor.  Maybe that is how it's always worked and just didn't have the need for it since X8 was so stable.  But X9 is giving me hard crashes and not soft crashes with no option to 'ignore' and save my work.  Quite frustrating.

I'll assume you are referring to others on the dropbox comment, I don't use dropbox.