I Keep Losing Work...Arghh...

HumbleChief

I've had a couple crashes in X9 lately with no repeatable cause but every time I seem to have no recent archive files that I can retrieve even though I have auto save set to every 2 minutes. I go to my archive folder and there's a copy, but it's always much older than the 2 minute save would make me think. Frustrating? No. Infuriating!!

Been through this multiple times with always the same out come. What am I missing?

archive.png

Larry,

I've not had a crash in X9 for a long time.  There must be something that's causing it. 

• Do you have any idea of what it is?
  • Is there an error message?
  • Does Chief Architect just freeze

If it just freezes it it could be a faulty macro that's caught in a loop.

Just freezes with the windows dbx saying Chief has stopped working. So seldom (maybe twice since using X9) no way of really knowing what happened. I don't even care about the occasional crash, it's just that my archive files are not current enough to be of any real use. THAT'S the piece I can't seem to get working reliably.

Here's a perfect example of what I end up with if Chief crashes. You can see the auto_save plan file Chief is creating now as I work on this file but if I experience a crash all I see is the older auto_save_bak file. In this case it's 4 days old. What happens to the auto_save file?

archive 5.png

The message "Chief has stopped working" is IMO a pretty good indication of the program being caught in a loop.  

IOW something in the program is performing the same operation over and over with no way out.

Since it's not repeatable by what you've been doing in the work flow, I strongly suspect a bad macro.  The execution of which could be happening at any time.

Have only one user user defined macro %area.round% in this plan set. Still confused about why my auto_save files are not there after a crash, only the older auto_save_bak files.

Also just discovered it take hitting cntrl 'S' TWICE before my file gets updated in the manage archive folder..

40 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Yiks, this is one thing that must work correctly!!

Not sure exactly what you're referring to but I have confirmed through the archive management folder that my files are not saved to the current time stamp unless I hit cntrl 'S' twice. That is certainly worth a YIKES!

Can someone confirm what I'm seeing or if your plan file gets the current time stamp with only one time hitting cntrl 'S'. THANKS

I've run into the lack of autosave being there. I "think" that it's not new to x9. if I also occasionally save the plan then the auto works. Not at machine and relying on feeble memory. 

Have trained myself to have a twitch in left hand - hits ctrl+S. 

Once in a while I get distracted though. 

7 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I've run into the lack of autosave being there. I "think" that it's not new to x9. if I also occasionally save the plan then the auto works. Not at machine and relying on feeble memory. 

Have trained myself to have a twitch in left hand - hits ctrl+S. 

Once in a while I get distracted though. 

Thanks Mark - I've discovered (I think) that it actually takes hitting ctrl+S twice on my system.

13 minutes ago, Kiwideziner said:

Are you looking at the file manager screen when you hit cntrl s ? if so what happens when you hit it once then refresh the file manager screen? does it change the time stamp?

Thanks for looking Graeme, good though but no, it does not refresh the file manager screen until I hit cnrtl 'S' again.

Thanks for the idea Perry  - The 'save' icon in the tool bar requires 2 clicks to update the time stamp as well.

29 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

While the autosave file (and undo's) are supposed to be deleted when you exit Chief normally, I don't think that's supposed to be the case in crash. This sounds like a bug, and I hope you will report it.

I've got a couple issue Richard and the hitting cnrt 'S' twice is at the top of my list. I''l report Monday if I can find time.

I'm having the same issue with crashes and the archive not being there.  Reported the crashes with no repeatable steps to tech support last week.  They basically put it back into my court and told me to try to narrow it down.  Not much help.  But, I understand it's hard to narrow it down without steps to repeat.  Lots more info on this thread that will hopefully help them track it down.  Just posting to reinforce that I'm having the issue as well.  Appreciate everyone's effort to figure this out to benefit all of us.