Is There A Master Template?

Nicinus

Is there a way to see what differs between different templates? I find that the templates that I've looked in seems a bit thin on wall types, I would for example expect to see some examples of basement Foundation walls with water proofing membrane, etc.

Do wall types differ between templates or where are they defined? Is there perhaps a master template that contains all definitions? It is kind of tedious to compare them to see which one would fit my project best.

Wall types are stored in plans or they can be stored in your library (new in X6). 

I would bet that all of the templates that ship with Chief have the same wall types.  The only way to see if this is true would be to check them all.  You could draw each of them in a plan and compare it to the others.  But why bother?  If you need a wall type you can't find in the template you are using, then just add it and save it.

There is really nothing other than just setting up the program, the way you want it, then saving that as a template plan.  We all have had to do it but, you only have to do it once unless you want several templates.

• Upvote 1

I think Wall Types vary between metric and imperial plans, but otherwise I think the different templates have the same wall types, just different ones set for the default exterior and interior.  The best place to start would just be the default profile plan and then make a copy that you've added whatever other common wall types you need to it.

There is really nothing other than just setting up the program, the way you want it, then saving that as a template plan.  We all have had to do it but, you only have to do it once unless you want several templates.

The big problem as I see it is that the way Chief works it is better to set up a new template with each upgrade. I find this time consuming and something that Chief does not do well. Every time I upgrade I have problems with Libs and especially with materials. I sure wish they would get it together with upgrades.

The master template is the profile plan and layout that comes with the program.

But do this one include all available wall types that Chief has defined? I'm starting to feel it would make more sense if wall types resided in the library like materials. According to the reference manual a template defines units of measurement and predefined default settings, layer settings, wall definitions, and page setup information. I wouldn't mind having a common repository for different paper sizes as well for layout. 

I do believe that the default plan template does have  all the wall definitions that come in Chief.

I think Chief made a few wall types that can be customized to fit the vast array of definitions that users will define. (from the department of redundancy bureau).

If you really need someone to make wall definitions for you I can do that for an exorbitant fee.

Andy.

I'm starting to feel it would make more sense if wall types resided in the library like materials.

You can save wall types in the library.

Open up some template plans and have a look at the wall types and save to the library the ones that you want.

Or create your own wall types - it doesn't take long - a minute or less per wall?

You could have done either of these in the time you have spent here.

You can save wall types in the library.

Open up some template plans and have a look at the wall types and save to the library the ones that you want.

Or create your own wall types - it doesn't take long - a minute or less per wall?

You could have done either of these in the time you have spent here.

But then I wouldn't know about these options, would I?

With the capability to store wall definitions in the library now, why doesn't CA just put the wall definitions in the library and avoid users having to deal with two different locations to access them...

For that matter, I'd like to see the capability to store any 'object' in the library, especially roof planes with all their attributes intact...

• 1 year later...

There is a backup copy in the Templates Folder in the Installation Directory of CA X7

usually here

C:\Program Files\Chief Architect\Chief Architect Premier X7 (64 bit)\Templates

copy it over to the Templates Folder in your CA X7 Data Folder in My Documents.

eg:

C:\My Documents\Chief Architect Premier X7 Data\Templates

those two paths maybe different depending on where you have  CA X7 installed if not in it's default location or you have moved the Documents Folder to another Drive.

M.

Wall and roof layer definitions are found in code depending on loads, structural(environmental, live, dead, distributed, point) Energy IECC(insulation values, vapor barriers and/or retarders (CL 1-3) depending on climate zone, specific design criteria noted in code (IE: IRC CH 3), that varies and is constantly changing allowables, or by the stamp of a knowledgeable Engineer. CA is just a drafting tool and only as good as the inputs it gets. ICC "Code" defines general International requirements, you get specifics from the sites jurisdiction adoptions and/or amendments. CA cannot keep up with all that across the world. The few default wall types I have looked at I do not agree with at all and will not work in my applications, jurisdiction, climate zone, loading. I bet they just put basic types in templates to give people an idea of how to configure walls and get started with the software, not to be confused with code compliant and/or engineered. There would literally be hundreds now with the worlds new mainstream buzz words "green building" and "passive house" Germany and USA...blah, blah, blah......natural building and alternative, hybrid types, etc.....If you need CA to do design work it is probably time to read code or hire an Architect/PE. Oh and make sure they have E&O insurance since I'm thinking CA is not taking on that liability either  :)