CHIEF ONLY RAY TRACING

mrscott

8 hours ago, mrscott said:

Just a data point. And Sorry Nestor. I don't see the signature on my iPhone. 

Yea...you are right.  It doesn't appear on my phone either.  Must be a Mobile App thing

Steve Nestor

Chief X7, X8, X9
27" iMac
3.5GHz Intel Core i7
1TB Hard Drive
16GB Ram 1600MHz DDR3
NVidia GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB memory

On 3/4/2017 at 11:44 AM, mrscott said:

Jason,

Absolutely stunning for so few passes. Since this thread was start to help interested parties understand how best to maximize Chief's RT capabilities, we would all be better for it if you would be so kind and share your settings, textures, patterns, tricks, etc. used to produce these outstanding results. Also curious of your system specs. There seems to be a lot of interest in upgrading these days with GTX GPU and Intel CPU pricing falling.

Thanks again for sharing.

I run an i7 5960x liquid cooled with all SSD's.  I was running dual gtx580 cards for the last 5 years, but x9 needed an upgrade so I installed a gtx1070 last week.  16gb ddr4 ram

I turn all shadows off all lighting except recess, and add an occasional user light when needed.  I also bump up daytime and interior intensity.  For each project, We provide 30-60 images so I have to keep the time down under 10 minutes per trace.

• 1 month later...

David - I think if you turned down the under cabinet lights the scene would not be so washed out.  Also the pendant on the left looks higher than the others.

In the LR scene are the couches supposed to look so different?  THe one in the foreground seems to have too much emissivity and the one on the left seems

a little flat. IMHO

David,

Since the point of this Thread is to learn how to maximize Chief's RT capabilities, please provide the setting used to produce these fine pictures. Your work is very nice and we all appreciate and respect your expertise. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Dennis_Gavin said:

David - I think if you turned down the under cabinet lights the scene would not be so washed out.  Also the pendant on the left looks higher than the others.

In the LR scene are the couches supposed to look so different?  THe one in the foreground seems to have too much emissivity and the one on the left seems

a little flat. IMHO

Thanks Gavin - I'll try that with the lights. As for the pendant lights, the left and right pendants are both higher than the middle one (what the client requested). Regarding the furniture, they provided an inspiration photo with furniture that was all very different. I'll take another look at the materials and the emissivity however.

48 minutes ago, mrscott said:

David,

Since the point of this Thread is to learn how to maximize Chief's RT capabilities, please provide the setting used to produce these fine pictures. Your work is very nice and we all appreciate and respect your expertise. 

Thanks

Thanks, MrScott, And you're absolutely right - I've attached some photos of the settings that were used in the scenes :)

58f6209e0622c_Settings1.thumb.PNG.7e21f9ed22c4707dbbac21b8b14d5bf3.PNG58f6204c91deb_Settings2.thumb.PNG.a0897cb334f619d7695ee1749b5cab8d.PNG58f6204c15c16_Settings1.thumb.PNG.7df53d3e2a86a2265131b9e09cc8a3bc.PNG58f6204b7e5ae_Settings4.thumb.PNG.ef435bbea41fa9e8a49d31d6c91e70d6.PNG

38 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

At a minimum, please state the pixel width & height, number of passes and Ray Trace time.

Sorry - 1765 x 1000 with a resolution of 150. 

10 passes at 30 mins each. 

• 3 years later...