CHIEF ONLY RAY TRACING

mrscott

6 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Hi Scott - The big culprit on the exterior is the intensity of those post cap lights. I dropped them down to 4%.

- Changed the background colour to black 15% luminance

- Ambient Occlusion, min=0, max = 1

- Sun intensity=0

- Unchecked Environmental light

Image Properties

Contrast = 88

Intensity =31

Colour Correction =0

Brightness = 46

Contrast = 81

Saturation = 45

This is after 10 passes

Untitled 1.jpg

Will now take a look at the interior.

Graham

Graham,

That was quick! You're the man! Now this is practical help I can use. Can't wait to see your comments on the interior.

i'll be on this first thing in the AM to try my hand at some of my own. 

Thank you so much!

Hey!

Me%20too_zpsf91dz4xd.gif

Here is a remodel project in progress for a neighbor up the road a piece.

Maybe not as impressive as Bob's lake house but it's always nice to see

your design taking shape in actual brick and mortar.

Scheller-8_zpskfm4ivb8.png

As always 100% Chief. In light of the fact that we have had 15" of rain in

the past 6 weeks, and with more on the way, the owners are reconsidering

their landscaping options so that's a blank canvas for now.

Ray%20Trace-21-Brightness%2045_zpsriy3br

12 hours ago, mrscott said:

Graham,

That was quick! You're the man! Now this is practical help I can use. Can't wait to see your comments on the interior.

i'll be on this first thing in the AM to try my hand at some of my own. 

Thank you so much!

Hi Scott - As mentioned those cap lights were the reason for all of those speckles. When this happens it's best to turn off all of your lights and then turn them back on one light type at a time. Run a quick Ray Trace in between to find the light type that is causing the issue. Once you find the culprit reduce the intensity to eliminate the speckles, I usually do this in 50% reduction increments. Also, this is typically a point light issue, so best to focus on them first.

Graham

Anyone have an idea what the little marks are ... both are ran in pano  .... difference of the two views is the one without marks has three lights off two in living rm and one in hall and is done in 10 passes  and one with the marks is 20 p also  changed the backdrop from sky to forest ..but would not think that would effect anything ? I do have the three lights set at 25w ... Any ideas would be great ..maybe Chief has a bump map for dust

thanks 360.JPG3601.JPG

Scott - Had a chance to look at the interior. The main issue I found was that there is not enough lights to properly light the scene and their intensities needed to be adjusted.

Lighting

- Added some additional recessed lights and set them all to 30% intensity,cut-off angle 110.

- Reduced the intensity of the pendants to 25%.

- Only lights in the scene are turned on.

Materials

- Made counter top reflective 30%.

- Changed stool frame material to Aluminum Brushed.

- Changed ceiling color to Brite.

Ray Trace Settings

- Ambient Occlusion - min=1, max=5.

Image Properties

- Contrast=36, Intensity=36, Softness=0,Color Correction=50%

- Brightness=49, Contrast=83, Saturation=40

Before Changes (as per downloaded plan)

As Is.jpg

After Changes

Adjusted_116_107 min_PS.jpg

I'm certain there are a lot more things that could be done to improve this, but it gives you a good idea as to how big of a difference a few lighting changes can have.

Graham

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jonboy112352 said:

Take a look I though they turned out ok    a little bit more tweeeeekkking    thanks for the information specs big help

That's a big improvement. I can not emphasize enough that the main key is to sufficiently light the scene and balance the lighting intensities. This is the number one thing to do and only after this is done can one then tweak the material properties if needed. If the lighting is not correct then changing material properties will most likely make things worse not better.

Happy Raytracing !!!

Graham

Scott - One last render from a different vantage point. The dining table chandelier lights (4) are set at 20%. Everything else is as per my last posts settings.

Adjusted2_50_63 min_PS.jpg

As you can see the materials are rendering quite well with good texture features and colour saturation. As it is night time there is are nice interior reflections in the back windows and some of the interior lighting is passing through the windows and lighting up some of the deck elements.

Graham

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Scott - Had a chance to look at the interior. The main issue I found was that there is not enough lights to properly light the scene and their intensities needed to be adjusted.

Lighting

- Added some additional recessed lights and set them all to 30% intensity,cut-off angle 110.

Materials

Ray Trace Settings

Image Properties

As Is.jpg

After Changes

I'm certain there are a lot more things that could be done to improve this, but it gives you a good idea as to how big of a difference a few lighting changes can have.

Graham

Graham,

Once again you have gone above and beyond. Another bonus point from me, my friend. Absolutely beautiful! I can take your lead, like the exterior, use your suggestions, and start adding additional tweaks. I've done a few and now beginning to understand the process. 

You are the master! Thank you, Thank you!

3 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Lighting

Materials

Ray Trace Settings

Image Properties

As Is.jpg

After Changes

Graham

Graham,

You got me so excited I immediately started trying to reproduce your image. Questions:

1) What resolution are you using? Screen? General Tab

2) Did you adjust the Under cabinet lighting? I really like using the custom and % vs. wattage.

3) Ray Trace Options.

Lighting:

- Use Camera View Settings

- Use Ambient Occlusion 0.1 Min 5 Max

Use Environment Light? Yes /No? Does it matter?

Advanced:

- Use Photon ?

- Compute Caustics?

Thanks,

44 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Graham,

I adjusted the ceiling in all rooms in the scene to BRITE, as directed, but still getting this line. I'm 5 passes into 25 and it isn't going away.

Hum! Thoughts?

RT Ceiling issue.JPG

Scott - I think you missed that section of the ceiling with the spray can.

The size I ran was 1200 x 587

Environment Lighting off

Photon on

Caustics on

Graham

I adjusted the pendants, Unchecked Environmental Lighting, It ran much faster. 10 passes in 6:30 min. (see attached).

I added an edge to the custom counter top but notice the edge near the closest stool. The first 18" or so on the radius is not taking the molding. Weird! 

Running again with new settings and 25 passes.

KITCHEN RT1.jpg

KITCHEN RT3.jpg

After lowering the Pendant light data

Corrected the Edge Molding issue (See Kitchen RT4 below)

KITCHEN RT4.jpg

Edited by mrscott
Additional data

On 2/16/2017 at 9:48 PM, Chiefer said:

Here are mine. 100% X9

Jintu,

Without question your work is stunning, and I for one appreciate you sharing "What can be in Chief". Thank you for you contribution to our community. The purpose of this thread is to help others learn from Guru's like you so, if you would be so kind...would you please share with us how you achieved such stunning results? I have a number of questions on #3.

1. How do you select and adjust a background so it fits the scene? In this case, what did you start with and what did you have to do to it make it work for this scene?
  2. Are the tall pines just behind the house part of the background or added trees in CA?

On 2/3/2017 at 8:47 AM, MPDesign said:

Does anyone have a suggested site for stock photos to import for backdrops?

Linden II_render2.jpg

raytrace-image prop.JPG

raytrace-setting-exterior.JPG

Michael,

Thanks for the Grass link, and Shadow board tips. Both are working great. I was wondering what level of success you are finding with Water textures? My limited experience with RT has shown a lot of works is needed to make  water look realistic. Your thoughts?

On 2/13/2017 at 4:22 AM, jcaffee said:

100% CAX9 Beta.  This cooked for 30 passes but could have used a couple hundred more to degrainify the shot.

20161126 Rt 133 Kitchen 09.png

Jon,

Send me the plan and I will run it on my Workstation at a one of you high Resolution (Print Quality) sizes and return the file in whatever format you like. My compliments to you for all you do for us. PM me is you prefer.

16 hours ago, jonboy112352 said:

Take a look I though they turned out ok    a little bit more tweeeeekkking    thanks for the information specs big help  Orlando center stairs Fireplace RT 2.17.17  WM.jpgKitchen RT 2.17.17  WM.jpg

Jonboy,

How did you apply the Beadboard to the island? Is it molding...? I've done it before just have a brain fade. Thx

12 hours ago, mrscott said:

I adjusted the pendants, Unchecked Environmental Lighting, It ran much faster. 10 passes in 6:30 min. (see attached).

I added an edge to the custom counter top but notice the edge near the closest stool. The first 18" or so on the radius is not taking the molding. Weird! 

Running again with new settings and 25 passes.

KITCHEN RT1.jpg

KITCHEN RT3.jpg

After lowering the Pendant light data

Scott - check that the ambient occlusion minimum is set at 1.0, the shaded regions seem on the dark side.

Graham