CHIEF ONLY RAY TRACING

mrscott

Michael,

Two questions:

1) Where do you put the Texture Zip file on your PC and how do you use it?

2) What is your process for setting up the realistic Shadow board you used?

I could spend a few hours digging through files and videos to find this but I was hoping you would share you experience.

Thanks,

two answers :)

1- I made a folder inside the client folder so it was easy to keep track of. Thats where i put the copies of the bump and normal maps I use.

2- I used the shadow board tab in the fix all roofs command. I used the CS-05 casing molding in core molding library,   set to 2 1/2" tall x 3/4, from the top.

hth, happy raytracing! 

• Upvote 1

Just ran these yesterday. Ran 60 passes in about 30 minutes, 1200 X 582. Most of the time was spent cleaning up the glass in the pendants, still some slight graininess in the one over the table. What I have found with the glass is that the graininess is attributed to the degree of light variance behind the glass, not the light within the glass. In the second pic the background to the pendant is fairly consistent and the glass is fairly clean. In the 3rd pic the background is lit by a recessed ceiling light as such the glass is still grainy. These were run with caustics On.

Concept 4a_118 passes_1hr_PS2.jpg

Concept 4c_60 passes_39 min_PS2.jpg

Concept 4d_60 passes_31 min_PS2.jpg

Graham

5 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Graham,

Please include all settings that affect the Ray Trace results. Your work is brilliant but without  settings we can't learn and improve our skills. That is the whole point of this thread.

Thanks

Scott - Brilliant might be pushing it a bit too far, but appreciate the compliment. Here are the settings, however these will change for every Raytrace depending upon the lighting and the look you wish to obtain. Just a suggestion, but I also believe it is important to demonstrate and discuss specific tips & techniques. Getting a decent Raytrace is about how you combine and apply these techniques. Unfortunately it takes some time and experimentation so one can get a handle on how these things function so you can approach your Raytracing in a more methodical way with more predicable results.

Ambient Occlusion - min "0", max "3"

Sun Intensity - 4

Photon Mapping - On

Caustics - On

Image Properties:

Tone Mapping - On

Contrast - 4

Intensity - 36

Color Correction - 50%

Brightness - 49%

Contrast - 73%

Saturation - 45%

Graham

I could not agree more. The fact is most of us don"t know where to start. We design our space (lights included) and when we attempt to RT it looks like crap. Why? Because we don't know enough about the elements that impact the RT to say not turn so many lights on. However, the reality is we design based on what we know or want and then when we attempt a RT it looks nothing like what we would expect. I don't understand why this all cannot be more intuitive. I sometime curse the people that program software for this vary fact.

I'm running a nighttime scene now and will post it later today with my settings.....Frustrating to say the least!

• Upvote 1

That would be great! Thank you.

Here is what I am trying to do. (Camera Placements in plan ) Note Lights are visible using A4 ELEC 1ST FLOOR Annoset. (Camera Render)

1) Night exterior Front

2) Night interior 1

I also noticed after install the new X9 with new S/N provided by CA, I am missing a number of Textures. Do I need to reinstall all? I was not given this option during the install.Perhaps I have to uninstall X9 beta and do a fresh install. Again, unclear directions from CA.

Thanks,

Night Time Ray Tracing.zip

Any tip settings on getting a recessed can in the ceiling to look like it is not bleeding in RT... have the materials set a general but have tried others... even moving the light source down from the ceiling .. nothing seems to change.

Looks okay in a standard view but not in RT

Thanks for any tips or settings someone could provide

Hi Scott - The big culprit on the exterior is the intensity of those post cap lights. I dropped them down to 4%.

- Changed the background colour to black 15% luminance

- Ambient Occlusion, min=0, max = 1

- Sun intensity=0

- Unchecked Environmental light

Image Properties

Contrast = 88

Intensity =31

Colour Correction =0

Brightness = 46

Contrast = 81

Saturation = 45

This is after 10 passes

Untitled 1.jpg

Will now take a look at the interior.

Graham

• Upvote 1

First one is a real quick RT (really blurred) 2nd is standard view  .. in the RT I have tried the can lights at 25w and a source light below it and does not matter what wattage bleeding still comes through ... have tried with the ambient occlusion on/off/50 . 

Not new to doing RT but holly ... I must be missing something or old age     lighting.JPGlight 2.JPG  Thanks for any help you can lend

You mention that you have a source light below the recessed cans, if those lights are point lights then that is why there is a bright spot on the ceiling. Point lights emit light 360 degrees and if they are to close to an object or too bright they will show up as a blown out spot. If you are using them to add more general lighting to the scene then try positioning them at he half height floor to ceiling level.

Graham

I suggest that you turn those extra light sources off and delete the two existing cans and replace them with the Line Voltage Can from the library. The only adjustment you might need to do is to change the Cut Off Angle. I would try them as is first to see if this solves the issue. Maybe some setting in those existing cans is off.

Graham

On 1/23/2017 at 7:47 AM, mrscott said:

Please add mods you are doing to ANY element of the RT. The purpose this thread is to aide in our own RT's and to understand how you arrived at your results.

thanks

@mrscott  I am just looking at your workstation specs... Are you in the goverment?  That is some system with a dual Xeon cpu.  If I may ask what did you pay for that and do you actually use all that power in Chief.  I mean I can run Chief pretty well but I can only imagine.

LOL! Government? No. I built my system from scratch with 2620 v3's  then found the 2683's on eBay that were no ES chips and figured I would give them a try. Once installed I was blown away by their performance I sold my 2620's on eBay. The net cost to upgrade was $200. A no brainer. Sure, the chips are used and probably from a server somewhere but given the price of new ones these were a deal.

As for their use with Chief, they sing on Ray Tracing....mind blowing fast...at least my mind anyway. A good GPU is core for all other operations but to pump out RT's fast the more cores the better. Comparing typical operations my Laptop holds its own against my dual Xeon but when it comes to RT it can't touch the Dual Xeon. 8 cores vs. 56. Even at a lower clock speed the cores sing.

This is why I want so much to learn how to maximize the capabilities of Chief's Ray Tracing.