X9 no longer opens .pl1 files?

BenPalmer

The .pl1 extension has been removed from the open dialogue in X9.  Besides opening in X8 first, has a way been provided to open these Chief 9 and earlier files within X9 via import or other method?  I have 100s if not 1000s of designs that I sell or use to base plans off of for customers that were created in 9 or earlier and need access to them via X9 and future releases.

I really don't want to keep X8 loaded on my computer forever to bring these files forward each time I need them.  Nor do I want to spend the time converting these numerous files.  However, a batch conversion tool would be acceptable.

Thanks.

Okay.  I found an old .pl1 file and tested out my suggestion.  It kinda worked...sorta...not really...Chief tried to open it but then gave this warning...

Warning.jpg

Like you said...looks like those older files are just no longer supported.  Oh well....I'm sorry...I tried.

On  a side note, I'm curious how useful those old files can be anyway.  Chief has changed so much it seems like the plans would be a mess and you'd be better off redrawing anyway...although I guess you would still need access to the file to get the relevant information.  Looks like keeping X8 on hand for a bit might be the only option.  Sorry. 

This is deliberately done by CA, there is documentation I have seen. Their reason was to be able to move forward, they needed to loose this ability to clean up the code.

Anyway when was the last PL1 file? I can't remember which version, I had some PL1 files in 2006. had to go to old computer to find.

Appreciate everyone's input.  I understand the need to move on or improve the program, but it is very disappointing to leave long time loyal users in the dust without providing a tool to bring these projects forward.  I've been with Chief since version '97 (version 5 i think?), and therefore have many of these files.

The .pl1 files are still very useful thanks to importing capabilities of annotation sets, defaults, wall definitions, etc.  It takes about 20 minutes to clean up various layers, window and door settings and various other items and i'm ready to go.  This saves days of having to recreate the file with all the detailing that is already done.

I guess i'll have to keep X8 loaded as well as keep the keys so that I can install it when I upgrade computers in the future.  I suppose I can live with that as long as chief doesn't start revoking my ability to have X8 in the long future via the software lock.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

X9 does not support reading in plans with the .pl# or .la# extension (files from any versions older then Version 10).  More information can be found in the Reference Manual on Page 54, "Compatibility with Previous Versions" and on Page 1338, "New and Improved Features by Chapter - File Management".

If you want to be able to open these plans in X9, you should first open these files in X8 and save them in the newer format.  Once the plan is saved as a .plan or .layout you should then be able to open it in X9.

You should be able to continue using your X8 for as long as your computer and operating system continue to support it.  At some point in the future, it is very likely that you will have to buy a newer computer that might not support your old software.  We can't prevent that from happening.  I would encourage you to update your old plans before you get stuck in this situation.

6 minutes ago, Dermot said:

X9 does not support reading in plans with the .pl# or .la# extension (files from any versions older then Version 10).  More information can be found in the Reference Manual on

This is a shame, the backward compatibility of Chief has always been a remarkable ability that has worked well and a point of pride.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.  Supporting these older file formats was limiting our ability to keep Chief moving forward.  We have only had to do this once before when we dropped support for pre-version 5 plan files.  We are hoping that with the file format improvements that we made back in Version 10 that we won't have to do this again for a much longer period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Completely understand the need to upgrade and I'm all for it.  However, just as was done with legacy library file formats, an import legacy .pl1 file utility should be implemented within Chief to convert those forward the same way I would open the file in X8 and then X9 to bring it forward.  Please reconsider completely dropping support for this file and instead implement a way to import legacy plans.

I agree.  I have 100 plus files from 1995 to 1997 which can't be accessed through X8 and I don't have V9 available to open them. I do need to open one on occassion.  Those houses are now ready to be remodeled!

A converter would be a great solution. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, no problem bringing these forward using X8, just can't do it using X9 as the first step.  The slow file is certainly a noticeable thing, but that is around using X8 and previous versions as well.  Seems to be specific to .pl1 (pre v10 files).  Would be nice to speed this up including Undo.  I haven't seen the speed up of Undo that X9 toughted as an improved feature in new or existing files...perhaps computer specs?  Let us know how working with the legacy file goes.

• 2 weeks later...

With virtualization of older Operating Systems (through companies like VMWare) you can run Windows 95 to Windows 7 on the newest of computers. Save your old OS software and your old Chief Architect software and as long as copy protection doesn't get in the way you will be able to open up those 20 year-old plans on the software it was originally created in.

Chief is better than most, as many companies out there, you're lucky if you can open up a file that is 10 years old.

With virtualization, anything created digitally should be able to be archived indefinitely. 

Monty