Detail Bubble and callouts

capitaldesigns

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Richard,

I'm talking about a CAD Detail Window in the Plan that has been sent to Layout.

I know what a CAD Detail Window is, and where the List of them is found. How does a callout in a plan (or section or elevation, for that matter) know which one of these details you are referencing? It doesn't. Until you can link a specific Detail from a list of many to a specific Callout, the dynamic referencing isn't a simple matter of activating %Layout.page% or whatever. 

OK Richard,

I see where you and I are talking about different things.  To do what you want it would take another "Link" of the Callout to the CAD Detail Window and then a "Link" of the CAD Detail Window to the Layout Box.

It's not impossible but it would take a little more programming.

Joe,

It also requires an additional ability from Chief to identify WHERE on the Layout page the detail is residing. Most people use annotation references like "6/S-2" to refer to a specific detail. Getting the "S-2" part is pretty easy, I think, but the specific detail number is going to be more work. In ArchiCAD, for example, you can designate a certain area on a Layout page to always be "6" (or "A" or "6A") based on a user-defined grid module, or just assign the number 6 to particular detail if you are uncomfortable with non-sequentially numbered details on a page. Once an annotation reference is linked to a specific detail, the plan reference updates automatically whether you move the detail to a different page or move it within the page, and incorrect references are eliminated. No more, "Do you feel lucky, Punk?" when submitting plans to a building department. I'm apparently never that lucky.

I know this is not industry standard, but I started doing my section and detail call outs without the lower part that indicates which sheet to look on. My feeling is the sheet index indicates which sheets the details and sections are on, and usually there are only a few sheets of each so it's not hard to find. Been doing it for years with no complaint. 

I do agree that Chief is frustrating coming from autocad. It's getting better but it has been a very long process and still quite a ways to go for me. 

2 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

It also requires an additional ability from Chief to identify WHERE on the Layout page the detail is residing

I totally agree.  A sequentially numbered/lettered grid on detail sheets would be a nice feature.  The Layout Box could pick up the grid ID and put that i the top half of the Callout.

2 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

It also requires an additional ability from Chief to identify WHERE on the Layout page the detail is residing.

36 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I totally agree.  A sequentially numbered/lettered grid on detail sheets would be a nice feature.  The Layout Box could pick up the grid ID and put that i the top half of the Callout.

This would be possible if Chief just gave us some things I've already requested in the past...

Specifically the x and y position attributes and maybe the line labels. 

...maybe consider offering a little support. 

Note that most of the suggestions I made in the thread I mentioned above would require very little in the way of any changes on Chief's end.  Take a simple line for example...it already has an x and y position right in the dbx. and it can have a label if you add a node which converts it to a polyline.  "Show Length" and "Show Angle" as well as callouts and Level Line Markers prove that dual labels aren't too difficult either.  Point is that its almost all there already. 

My point...A whole new tool might be great, but if we could get Chief to provide a few minor things in the interim we could be getting this stuff done.  The fact only a very small handful of people ever take the time and energy to champion and support the cause is really making progress slow in some of these areas. 

PLEASE consider getting behind some of these ideas guys and being a little more vocal with your support and maybe progress will be a little quicker. 

I agree that we should all push for the improvements to CA that members have submitted.

Is there a way for use to get all of the interested parties email addresses so we can email
each other directly with our suggestions. I am not always on the forum. But I do ready my
emails everyday.

Mike