Ceiling (structure) Above Floor 1? or Subfloor For Floor 2?

HumbleChief

Always wondered - in the 'Build Framing' dbx - what's the difference between the Ceiling Above Floor 1 and the Sub Floor For Floor 2? On a two story model which one over rides the other? Do they need to match? and why are there any options for the subfloor for floor 2 on a single story model?

ceiling above floor below.png

Thanks Joe, I think you are saying that the SubfFloor For Floor 2 setting takes priority over the ceiling Above Floor 1 setting basically rendering the Ceiling Above Floor 1 setting useless in most cases.

From help file. Thanks again

Specify how the Ceiling Above Floor X is built. These settings are relevant only for rooms that do not have living space above them.
• Check Build Ceiling Framing to generate or regenerate ceiling framing when the OK button is clicked. Only available when there is no living space above at least part of the current floor. Not available in the Framing Defaults dialog.
• The Ceiling Structure depth displays here for reference. Click the Edit button to open the Ceiling Structure Definition dialog and define the layers of materials that form the ceiling platform. Check Default to use the Ceiling Structure Definition set in the Normal Room Defaults dialog. See Material Layers Definition Dialogs.

14 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Joe, I think you are saying that the SubfFloor For Floor 2 setting takes priority over the ceiling Above Floor 1 setting basically rendering the Ceiling Above Floor 1 setting useless in most cases.

From help file. Thanks again

Specify how the Ceiling Above Floor X is built. These settings are relevant only for rooms that do not have living space above them.
• Check Build Ceiling Framing to generate or regenerate ceiling framing when the OK button is clicked. Only available when there is no living space above at least part of the current floor. Not available in the Framing Defaults dialog.
• The Ceiling Structure depth displays here for reference. Click the Edit button to open the Ceiling Structure Definition dialog and define the layers of materials that form the ceiling platform. Check Default to use the Ceiling Structure Definition set in the Normal Room Defaults dialog. See Material Layers Definition Dialogs.

I could be wrong, but the way I interpret it is the opposite you are. For most single story homes with no living space above the ceiling  "Ceiling for FL1" is used and sub-floor has no affect. 

In two or more stories, the sub floor elevations can be changed with respect to one another using the "sub-floor for floor 2" build tool. In this case ceiling build is inoperative. 

That would make sense to me anyway based on titles of sections too since there is no "sub-ceiling for floor 2" but I'm not sure. 

50 minutes ago, ICTHOMES said:

I could be wrong, but the way I interpret it is the opposite you are. For most single story homes with no living space above the ceiling  "Ceiling for FL1" is used and sub-floor has no affect. 

In two or more stories, the sub floor elevations can be changed with respect to one another using the "sub-floor for floor 2" build tool. In this case ceiling build is inoperative. 

That would make sense to me anyway based on titles of sections too since there is no "sub-ceiling for floor 2" but I'm not sure. 

The quote above is from Chief's help file and I know the terms can be confusing but I bet we are saying the same thing using different words.