Dimension to Center of Framing?

Anna_Gorres

David & David,

Thank you for your responses. I have already done both and it does not seem to actually dimension to the center of the framing for the exterior walls. Interior walls, yes. I'm sure it's something simple....but I've already spent a few hours on it today and hoping someone else knows what I'm doing wrong off the top of their head!

Thanks much!

Anna 

29 minutes ago, Matt_Wagoner said:

David & David,

Thank you for your responses. I have already done both and it does not seem to actually dimension to the center of the framing for the exterior walls. Interior walls, yes. I'm sure it's something simple....but I've already spent a few hours on it today and hoping someone else knows what I'm doing wrong off the top of their head!

Thanks much!

Anna 

Anna,

Are you talking about dimensioning to the center of the wall like this...

Center of wall.jpg

...??

If so,  I don't now of any good way to make that automatic short of tweaking your wall definitions which is just a pain and not very practical.  Your best bet is just to manually snap the dimension lines to the center of the exterior walls where necessary.

Framers I've worked with in this area, prefer their dims from the exterior framing regardless of the veneer material (minus the sheeting) to both sides of the framing for interior walls.  A couple have asked for dims from exterior framing to the center of the interior walls, but not often.  I prefer the first option I mentioned.

On 1/18/2017 at 0:11 PM, Richard_Morrison said:

Wow, I've never heard of a framer who wanted center dimensions They all seem to want dimensions to faces so they don't have to do any math.

Yep, and they are our company's framers, so this is they way they will want all new construction drawings. :) 

Spent way too many years in the field laying out for framing crews.

I always wanted my walls pulled from the outside face of stud on the exterior wall to the face of stud on the next wall- the hook framing and go to framing.

As for doors and windows - hook outside wall on face of stud and then pull to center of opening. This allows to layout the header for each opening and mark on top of plates for easy identification.

Had one builder that drew his own plans and always dimensioned to the wall- dimensioned the 3 1/2" wall- then from that wall to the next.

Had to get him straightened out right away ;)

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2017 at 1:11 PM, Richard_Morrison said:

Wow, I've never heard of a framer who wanted center dimensions They all seem to want dimensions to faces so they don't have to do any math.

This! Heaven forbid these guys have to add or subtract 1 3/4" or 2 3/4"! 

1 hour ago, Steve-C said:

This! Heaven forbid this guys have to add or subtract 1 3/4" or 2 3/4"! 

It's not about adding or subtracting, it makes no sense going to the center of framing because when you do your layout you snap your lines to the edge of framing and you work all your dimensions from that line or edge of the plates.

1 hour ago, Greg_NY61 said:

Never seen a plan with center dimensions... Always to the face-framing. Kitchens, etc always to the face of sheetrock surface.

I have and I don't get it.  Who would want center dimensions?  Framers snap there lines to edge of framing.

• Upvote 1